MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 06-05-2002, 08:19 AM
CKDadmin

Speak up now ... NEW FORUM FEATURE REQUEST

Guys-

I want to let this serve as the sounding board for the new feature, community model, look, style and topic "wish list", regarding our new forum that we're now writing code for.

--- I have a method to move all the posts over and redirect the traffic, but I want to make sure I let you guys chime in and tell us what you want. It's important that we plan for any new features, like image hosting, streaming media, paltalk integration, and the like. I've been planning this move for a long, long time and we have some ideas over here that should knock everyone's socks off, but this is your community and it's run by proxy, so I'll reserve a week or two for everyone to make their opinion's known and see what ideas get the most support.

New boards, more/new moderators, new ideas ... let's hear them!

Nothing will be ignored, so bring it!

Alex
Old 06-05-2002, 09:21 AM
primos

So far, it's all sounding pretty nice. The image hosting idea is something that would be of a great benefit if folks will be willing to jump on the bandwagon.

Something that I think definitely needs to be put in place is a working "search" feature. That's probably already covered though. I think EzBoard is about the only one where the search feature is useless.

I imagine PalTalk integration would be a big plus for many of the members. I've never used it because when responding to questions, I like to be able to think about what I'm going to say, and even change things around before submitting. But even that isn't foolproof. I still trip over my own tongue occasionally with written responses.

I'll drop back in here from time to time if I can think of any new features that I believe would be of some benefit. Come on everyone -- now's the time to chime in.

Terry's Website

Old 06-05-2002, 12:31 PM
MJHKNIVES

To be able to change username, without having to reregister etc.
I will think of some more things in a bit.
The ability to send PM's.
The ability to post photo's from the hard drive.
I know there is something else, will have to think on it.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:52 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Sounding good here.

Terry,PalTalk isn't that fast paced, and even though it is voice chat there is text as well and many use the text.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:13 PM
Bob Warner

How about a "REASON" for people to fill out their profiles? For some reason many don't do it even after being asked. I can understand why some people may want to remain anonymous (Kinda) but some general information like experience level and general area of the country would be helpful. I had a guy ask me to come over and help him with his forge that he was building, later I found out he was in Wisconsin. Kinda far from Dallas.

We have already started the "Newbie FAQ" in the Newbie area and may want to consider doing that for each forum to avoid so much repetition.

Some general suggestions like "Don't call Bob at 3 o'clock in the morning" to ask what size the orifice is in the forge burner. Yes, they did.

How about a section for knife related items for sale? For example, Don Cowles CD, or Geno's blade blanks, or Dogman's web site creation. I must confess, I am creating a CD also on how I made a lot of my tools that I will probably want to sell to support my web hosting (For some reason Alex wants paid for hosting my site) and to avoid all of the phone calls I get asking me to explain every detail.

How about a WEB PAGE creation tips & tricks page?

Just rambling but knowing Alex, all this is all already covered and then some.

Old 06-06-2002, 12:55 PM
MJHKNIVES

A black dot on the envelope, to the left of every thread. To show which threads you have posted on.
Old 06-06-2002, 04:27 PM
Coop747

Re: New forum stuff

Here's a short list of personal preferrences. I think the idea's presented are already good. (Mike--so THAT'S what that little black dot is all about!?)

* A legend to identify stuff like the 'little balck dot' and other posting cues.

* Lose the grey background format. Elegant, but BORING! Give us some light colors.

* I don't like the 'Who's logged in' feature. It's a little bit invasive. Plus with DSL and Cable running 24/7 someone may be identified as logged in, but they aren't really doing anything. Maybe others like it but I don't. Until we grow, it also looks a little despondent at times with only a few folks logged in. Just me...

* I know the Electric Fencepost is our community board, but I would rather a Forum in the main header as the forum to discuss general stuff and happenings in our 'other lives'. The Fencepost is a happy place but face it, it's not like the Community board in BF. 'Knife Community' is simple and direct.

* Make use of a 'Favorite Forums' and Favorite Topics personal page. Maybe we can change the appearance (colors?) here? At this point I don't use many boards, so I would want to cut them out of my startup or user page.

* Quick pick of emoticons, quotes, links, etc. on the posting page.

* Image hosting. Hmmmmm. You might consider letting EVERY signed-up member post an image for free, but limit them to say, 3 images per month, or something teasing, at the basic member fee. Heavy-hitters can step up and pay for the bonanza version. Linking is still as was.

* Larger avatars are now becoming vogue. Also an avatar tutorial would help. Most newbies don't have a clue what an avatar is anyway. I didn't.

I'll think of more soon..... ! Thanks so much for allowing us to be involved! Count me in.

Coop

Oh, and allow a minute or so 'grace' period to re-edit our post. Sometimes on the full re-read I see something and want to clarify or change it without having that 'edited' signature.

Old 06-06-2002, 08:08 PM
MJHKNIVES

Jim, the logged in feature, at BFC, USN, allow you to turn the feature off, if you wish. Then you can ghost the forum. Right here is the only one that you can't.
Some like to be shown, some don't.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:06 PM
Bob Warner

I would like to see a limit to the Avatar size. Some get really big and screw up the page format a little.
Old 06-07-2002, 05:07 AM
Don Cowles

...and perhaps a size limit for other graphic postings as well.

I'd also like to see some way to compact the initial forum view to minimize the amount of scrolling or "page down" activity required to see the whole first page. Maybe a personal preference setup feature that allows the user to select those forums that will appear on the opening page; those not selected would not appear.
Old 06-09-2002, 11:21 PM
CKDadmin

Do you guys like the full forum list on the initial screen, or a top-level main category approach?

Alex
Old 06-10-2002, 04:47 AM
Bob Warner

I like the full forum.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:58 AM
Coop747

In regards to the full forum start-up page, whatever saves an extra step--use it.

If you aren't going to have a personal page with favorites, then include the whole list and categories. That way, as now, when I back out of a forum I don't need to go further to get to the next forum. If it was a category page with subforums, I'd have to back up again to get to, say, the Photo forum from the General forum. I'm lazy!

Coop
Old 06-10-2002, 11:43 AM
Bob Warner

I am interested in making it easy for new people to find their way around and thought the full forum would be the easier way.
Old 06-12-2002, 01:10 PM
JerryO13

Definetly full forum on top.

spell check that works without crashing

limit avatar size

perhaps limit image posting size, - however it would have to be a large thumbnail, not the usual ones I see, those are too small, perhaps with a click on image for larger size. I like how the main knife sales pages work, I just wish the initial thumbnail was bigger.

Tags
blade, forge, knife