MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 04-03-2003, 10:14 AM

feedback forum?

We were recently asked by the moderator of the makers sales forum to remove our thread once a knife was sold. This is fine but I now have a customer who bought one of my knives who would like to leave feedback on the knife but the for sale thread is gone. Perhaps if we are going to clean out the for sale forums we should have a feedback forum.

Old 04-05-2003, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Steve,

I want to give this some more thought before we make any decisions. Actually, the posting of for-sale items on the forum was an afterthought, a fringe benefit for members who were unwilling, or unable to sell through the main site.

I want to be able to allow you guys to sell at will. Yet, I want to control how it's done and by who to make sure that our visitors are protected at all costs, especially when the seller is untraceable.

The idea of ratings and feedback sounds great on the surface, but what it asks of us is to expand the selling nature of the forums, and this directly assaults the main site, where over 800 available custom knives are listed, mainly by our hosting clients.

My dilemma is this ... why should I expand the salability features or minimize seller requirements of these forums for users who are not supporting the 50GB of monthly combined traffic usage of the two sites, when doing so directly affects the profitability of our primary clients? Remember, we finance the CKD and CKDF operations "in-total" by a percentage of the hosting revenue that we generate from our custom knife industry clients each month. That's why there are no requests for revenue for providing membership services on these forums from anyone.

I'm not at all opposed to allowing forum members to sell work in here. One of the reasons we do it is to show everyone that the internet is a viable tool for doing this and hopefully ramping them up to a system like ours when they are ready to move up. But, I don't think I want to enhance the salability features of these forums, especially considering the business we're in, considering the argument above.

We're you, or any reader, familiar with our system, I'm sure you'd understand my side of this point. It's a tough balance, that's for sure.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 04-05-2003, 08:55 AM

Difficult to be sure, but your explanation makes sense. Like everything, there is always something more when looked at in depth. Glad you have that vision.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify and educate us.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 04-05-2003, 12:09 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Alex, how about limiting CKDF classifieds to *only* equipment and supplies? I thought that was the original intent anyway, and anyone wishing to sell knives should be constrained to doing so on the main CKD sales site.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 04-05-2003, 04:58 PM
Hall of Famer

alex -
i think that i know where you were going with question asked earlier this week.
if i were you (ie, the owner of the board), i would be thinking about the original purpose - CKD. that is how i found the forums - i bought knifes from the paid guys (brodziak & hern) and later found the forums.
as a newbie maker, i would consider the CKD first as a sales point. if i thought that my presence here on the forums entitled me to another means of sales outlet, i think that i would ask you first, if it would be OK. obviously, that is because you have abided by presence so long as you have. for those that 'just show up to sell something', my thinking has changed to -- NO, you must join us first, be accepted, then we'll see - subject to review.
my .02
thanx

Last edited by whv; 04-05-2003 at 05:01 PM.

Tags
knife, knives