MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 12-31-2002, 01:12 PM
Skilled

I've been busy lately with work and of course the silly season, so I haven't been posting much.

I really like the historical or period knife section. By conincidence I was looking through my Oakshott "archeology of weapons" over the christmas holiday and
it just seems like a good idea.

Of course I was looking through it for more ideas for new stuff but ....

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 12-31-2002, 01:24 PM
Master

Yah, the Historical section sounds good, as does the business section.

Sorry Jon, have to disagree about the sheath display case, seems people are already not posting in Jens thread 'cos it takes too long to load, it may be the novelty factor, or a "backlog" of people only just realizing that people want to see sheaths, but I think it's got legs.

Alex,
I wouldn't want to suggest any forums to close down, perhaps you already have your eye on some? How about approaching the Mods first for some feedback & they can help find a way, maybe incorporating into another forum.

Gotta say, the main thing is to keep it custom & keep it friendly

Edit: just realized after putting in that last bit, the historical section should only work in respect to custom work & I don't envy the Mods sorting out that wheat/chaff problem

• Who's There?
  • Cowsgo
  • Cowsgo Who?
  • NO, Cows Go Moo!

Last edited by Colin KC; 12-31-2002 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:07 PM
Guru

I'd also like to see Chuck Burrows as co/moderator on the Research Forum.

Scott, Jon and Chuck would make a perfect team!...
Old 12-31-2002, 03:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
O.K...

...Just playing Devil's Advocate on the sheath subject. I do have a general concern about the potential for too many subcategories, but it might be interesting to see where the subject of just sheaths goes. I guess I tend to feel that a sheath and a knife should be equally considered in terms of aesthetics and function- so it might be odd to see sheaths without knives... but perhaps if the sheath is the primary *emphasis* it would make sense to me.

...like I said though... I'm not going to hold any grudges if it materializes... and I'll probably even post a few sheaths. :cool:

jloose.com

Old 12-31-2002, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Jerry-

Thanks for the reference to Oakeshott, I have been wracking my brain for the last couple of days trying ot remeber the book and or the author.

Colin thanks for putting your two pence worth in re: the sheath gallery. I think it will be a major addition to CKD, of course I'm prejudiced, but it would be the first on the block as well. The history and business forums are also good ideas and I will be glad to help out in any capacity.

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Jon-
We must have been posting simultaneously. I for one tain't going to hold a grudge against some one speaking their peace (as long as they do it nicely ).
I do agree that sheaths and knives are a matched set, and I hope that if we get the forum that most folks will post dual pics: one of the knife in the sheath and one alongside. Especially since the thrust of the sheath is supposed to be on patterns for various style blades. In fact I've found that since I started posting dual pics on my web site people are much more interested in that section.

I also agree that too many subcategories can be a huge headache, but this should work out really well as a learning forum.

Also I'd love to see your sheaths posted. I've lurked around your site often enough that I know what you can do and I'm envious of your metal chapes and tips. That's an area I've got to delve into more or find some one like you to collaborate with???

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:20 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

I just found the answer to the sheath forum idea, if Alex and crew had the time to do it.

I just joined USN (Usual Suspect Network) forums, which like the CKD forums, runs on the vBulletin platform. They have a knifemakers forum called Steel Dust Junkies. Inside that forum, which is a standard discussion forum, is another forum called Knifemaker Supply.

In other words, they have a forum within a forum. The Knifemaker Supply forum rides at the top of the Steel Dust Junkies forum almost like a header.

That would be perfect for the sheathmaking forum. Inside the normal sheathmaking forum would be another forum for posting pics of sheaths. I have no idea how difficult and time consuming this would be to set up, but it sure is cool, and is the perfect thing for what you guys are wanting.

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 01-01-2003, 04:11 AM
Guru

That's a very good idea Terry. I'm sure we can set Martyn on the trail of how to do this, he's our vBulletin expert and as he's got nothing better to do with his time he can save Alex the trouble.

That would have been the ideal way to slot in the Outpost sub-forums as well though it may be too late now.

Martyn! Get on the case

Roger

Old 01-01-2003, 02:40 PM
Guru

Alex - faster than a speeding bullet!

Roger

Tags
blade, knife, knives