MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 06-28-2002, 09:29 AM
Skilled

Lightbulb Suggestion....

Alex, I posted this as a reply in a thread in the competer center forum, but thought it might be worth bringing up here. Bob and Coop have mentioned it would be helpful to have some user info on display, when determining how to reply to members. Here's an idea for adding a custom field to users profiles, and also a field under their name/avatar.

It uses the vBulletin options for adding custom fields and just one line of code to add to a template. It took me about 5 mins to add to my bb, that included "figuring out" time too

I added a new *required*, but user editable custom field for the profile and a single line of code in the postbit template.

and...

Of course ppl can enter whatever they like, but making it a required field and making it show under tha avatar, means that ppl will likely be honest.

People can input whatever info they like, ABS mastersmith, Journeyman, collector, scrimschander, engraver, Master leatherworker, kit-builder, hobbyist or just plain old "newbie". Not only would this benefit those giving the advice, but it would be helful to us newbies too, to know if the advice is comming from another newbie, or an ABS mastersmith.

You can add as many as you like and make as many as you like show up under the avatar. The only limit being the amount of space used up.

What do you think?

------------------------------

Alex, dunno if you decide to do this or not, but here's how:
In the admin CP, add a new custom field using the options provided.

Admin CP -> User profile Fields -> add

There are 4 default fields, so this will be field 5. Select whatever options you want from those available.

In my case, I used:
Title: Skill Level
Description: enter your skill level, newbie, professional, hobbyist etc.
Max. Input: 100
Field Length: 25
Display Order: 2
Field Required: Yes
Hidden on Profile: No
Ediable by user: Yes

To make it show up in the posts, click on:
Admin CP -> Templates -> Modify -> [expand list] -> Postbit Templates -> [expand] -> postbit -> [edit]

then scroll down and look for:
PHP Code:
    $post[avatar]<p>
    <
smallfont>Registered$post[joindate]<br>

Location$post[field2]<br>

Posts$post[posts]</smallfont></td
This is where you control what appears under the avatar. You need to add Skill: $post[fieldX]<br>, where "X" is the number of the field you just added, in this case 5.

Example....

PHP Code:
    $post[avatar]<p>
    <
smallfont>Registered$post[joindate]<br>

Location$post[field2]<br>

Skill$post[field5]<br>

Posts$post[posts]</smallfont></td
....that's it!

You can add the $post[field5] pretty much anywhere in this template if you want to play around with design, but this is where it would go if you follow the design logic of the vBulletin coders.

Last edited by Martyn; 06-28-2002 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-28-2002, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Martyn,

Great coding ... thank you sir! I don't have time to knock it out right away, but will as soon as possible. I want to make sure I have the time to check it back and forth. Right now, I'm smoked under ...

Nice work!
Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 06-28-2002, 10:20 AM
Skilled

np Alex, I know what you mean about time - just not enough of it to go around. I think I'm gonna put in my sig..

"gimme about half an hour and I'll get on it"

It looks more complicated than it is, because I've gone a bit overboard with the explanation. You'll be surprised how simple it is when you come to do it, It really is very quick and straightforward.

Old 06-29-2002, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Martyn,

How would this affect the current profiles that do not have the entry? If it's a required field, will this corrupt their current entries?

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 06-29-2002, 10:31 AM
Skilled

No, they'll stay blank. It''l only be required for new registrants from the moment you make the additional field active. There is no error checking that takes place, other than at the point of registration. Users can edit/delete the contents of the field after registration if they wish. The existing members will have to go into thier "user cp" to add a description of themselves.

The options are already coded into the vBulletin admin area, for you to use on the fly. You cant corrupt the database by adjusting those fields.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Martyn; 06-29-2002 at 10:48 AM.