MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 06-14-2002, 02:27 AM
Skilled

Thumbs up well done!

vBulletin = quality merchandise.

Great move guys, I admin a couple of vBulletin sites and have written some vBhacks, it's great software and well worth the licence.

Good move.

BTW, if ever you are over at www.vbulletin.org - my user name is tril0Byte (check out the hottest hacks)

BTW, you guys really should consider installing vBPortal http://phpportals.com/ it's a vBulletin addon thet gives you an integrated and database driven front end to the forums. It's all coded in PHP and integrates into the SQL database, with some great features that could be well exploited here - photo galleries etc, all searchable and indexed to members/users. It could be very useful - check out the demo site.

Last edited by Martyn; 06-14-2002 at 02:35 AM.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Thanks Martyn,

We've already looked in that direction. You're right, that's good stuff. Because we're so busy, we have to do this integration one step at a time. Right now, I want to watch the base forum script's influance on the server loads for a few days. Once we get a view on that, and if all appears well, I think we'll begin the mega-hacking sessions!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 06-14-2002, 10:09 AM
Master

I agree. Well done. I really like this software and am extremely comfortable using it. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2002, 12:48 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally posted by CKDAdmin
Thanks Martyn,

We've already looked in that direction. You're right, that's good stuff. Because we're so busy, we have to do this integration one step at a time. Right now, I want to watch the base forum script's influance on the server loads for a few days. Once we get a view on that, and if all appears well, I think we'll begin the mega-hacking sessions!

Alex
Excellent, - do you have a shared or dedicated server? I installed vBPortal onto one site which at the time had about 25 members online consistently, a database of about 50,000 posts and 300 members - a medium sized community. Portal hardly impacted at all. Obviously it does generate extra database queries, but funtionality will always trade off with performance to some extent.

The server seems pretty speedy at the moment, but there is only about 1/2 dozen online.

Old 06-14-2002, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Thanks guys!

Martyn, we're a web hosting company. All of our internally managed sites are sharing server space with our other independant clients on dedicated IPs. There's likely 4 or 5 other copies of this software on the same box as this one. I know of 2 other copies running 1000 or so members, but I'm sure there are others. Moving the software to a new provisioned box is also an option if we need it. My cheif concern was the basic raw code and it's influance on the load on this one box. We run some pretty intensive hosting software on our system, webmail, smartlists and such, but my main concern is to make sure the users who are on purchased space continue to receive the performance that we're known for. This box, for instance, has about 200 IP's on it, but it's been up for 224 straight days since the last reboot. That was done when we upgraded our control panel software.

I guess the tradeoff is "sites for having fun" and those that are "mission critical". In other words, we'll kill the PID of a fun site in 2 seconds, where we might let another run a little more intensively if the load is not sustained over a couple of minutes.

So far, I'm pretty happy with it ... beats the heck out of some other junk we've looked at. We're looking at several other applications to integrate here, so over time, who knows?

BTW- since you have experience working with that portal software, we may want to ask you some questions concerning the install if we run into something weird ... that ok?

Thanks again ... the portal looks good on the surface.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 06-15-2002, 03:19 AM
Skilled

Hi Alex, my apologies, I should've looked a little deeper, I didn't realise you were a sys-admin of a hosting company - doof

Having total control over load balance is a sweet place to be, so i guess there are no issues there. Most the hosts I know of have started to *insist* their clients use vB instead of CGI, the load isn't nearly so great - or so it would appear, but I guess you'd know that

224 updays, no surprise to see you're running apache on redhat

I'd be happy to try and answer any portal questions, though I doubt you'd have any. The install is pretty straightforward, not as consumer friendly as vBulletin by any means, but not a bear either. It's pretty much based around the phpnuke system and most of the phpnuke modules can be integrated into portal with little or no modification. I suppose you could code the whole shebang yourself, many do, but for me portal offered a more straightforward option - I'm no PHP coder either. The integration with vB is very strong, which presents strengths and weaknesses. It's great to tap into the functionality of vB, but a major pain for upgrades. There are probably a dozen or so vB files which need to be edited for portal, which means any upgrade to vB pretty much kills your portal install. Nothing new there though, but the job of installing a vB upgrade does present with some work.

It's not perfect, and if you can code PHP then you may prefer doing your own custom job, but a lot has already been worked through with portal, it's heavily integrated with vB and very customisable. It's a good compromise IMO - and it's free

Cheers and thanks again for doing such a great job.
Martyn.

Old 06-15-2002, 11:16 AM
Guru

Technogeeks! :confused:

Roger

Old 06-15-2002, 04:51 PM

Quote:

I guess the tradeoff is "sites for having fun" and those that are "mission critical". In other words, we'll kill the PID of a fun site in 2 seconds, where we might let another run a little more intensively if the load is not sustained over a couple of minutes.
Alex
I love it when you guys talk dirty!

Alex and Martyn are in their element talking over this gobbledygook. I have enough trouble remembering which characters is a 'winky' and which is a 'smiley'

On a serious note, I gotta say that I am SOOOOOO impressed with the whole darn thing. I am even liking the colors!! Much better than the grey!

Alex, you're my HERO!!!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 06-15-2002, 05:35 PM
Guru

I liked the grey but then the world is all shades of grey ....

Roger

Old 06-15-2002, 06:25 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Quote:
Originally posted by Coop747

Alex and Martyn are in their element talking over this gobbledygook.

Coop
"There are two major products to come out of Berkeley: LSD and Unix. We don't believe this to be a coincidence."

Quote:

Alex
Can I play too?

Man, I've been out of the Unix Geekdrome for six months now, and I don't have a manual handy. Let's see, the fun_daemon is eating up more than it's share of CPU time slices and bogging down the system.

I think this would fix it, right? I'm not sure about that field 5 on the end being the location of the PID, but I think this is close.

Unix System V style:
kill -9 `ps -ef | grep "fun_daemon" | /usr/bin/cut -f5`

BSD Unix style:
kill -9 `ps -aux | grep "fun_daemon" | /usr/bin/cut -f5`

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 06-15-2002, 09:42 PM
Skilled

Code:
#! /bin/sh
# /sbin/init.d/runlevel.3

case "$1" in
  start)
    need stabalisedbuckeye
    need damascus.2
    mount -handleslabs
    ;;
  stop)
    umount -bankbalance
    ;;
esac
# End

Old 06-15-2002, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Whaaaa ha ha ha!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 06-16-2002, 06:09 AM
Guru

Heeeeeeeeelp I'm caught in technospeakland.......

Roger