MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Calling all knife makers and artisans...

On a regular basis, I get private messages from visitors asking if I can suggest someone to get a custom knife made by, or a sheath, or engraving, etc. Of course, I tell them to look through the forums and match the style of what they're looking for with some of the images and threads that are available, and that I'll be happy to give a trade endorsement where possible. However, I'll wager that a ton of folks that visit this site are potentially looking for makers to create new pieces, to repair existing knives, to purchase existing work, or even to teach them how to make knives on a paid, one-on-one personal basis.

I realize that this may not interest everyone here. But it would seem to me that a forum where makers and artisans could create a personally managed advertising thread with examples of their past works, details on what all they do for hire, contact data and other pertinent trade information would be a cool thing to have here for those visitors who are coming to seek custom knives and artisans to work with them. In my opinion, there is nothing like matching a need to someone who matches your eye. I can help organize this with a forum and make it easy for our visitors to find what they need.

If we did this, it would have to be tightly moderated by our forum leaders, where promised goods and services are always delivered as expected, or penalties and banishment are understood. But, I think our members have established our community as the gold standard for ethical behavior in this industry. With 12 years worth of history and maybe 2 (ex)member complaints in the entire time, this may be something that we are qualified to offer unlike any other online community in the business. We have server space to spare and I'd be more than happy to increase the image posting limits for all who wanted to participate.

Does any one have any interest in, or thoughts on this idea?

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 12-22-2011, 12:51 AM
Administrator

May I assume that no one wants to take any new orders?

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 12-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Hall of Famer

Alex, my knifemaking has slowed to a crawl, but I see lots of value in this idea.

Tags
custom, knife, knives, sheath, teach