MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 06-12-2002, 07:05 AM

User Titles Suggestion Thread

Lets group all the suggestions here, and then we can play with the poll function
Old 06-12-2002, 07:06 AM

Jim's

Back to the 'titles'...

It's human nature to want to be 'normal', but nobody wants to be 'average'.

I'd suggest some levels of status, starting with a new membership, then possibly growing in stature at a certain number of posts. Some examples:

0-100 Principal Member
100-500 Leading Member
500-1000 Premier Member
1000 + Outstanding Member
3000 + Too much time in front of the computer member..

You get the idea. Also, Moderators and Founding Members are very worthy. Guys? what do you think?

Coop
Old 06-12-2002, 07:07 AM

Mike's

Titles.... A title according to number of post....My personal opinion is that bites. Lets say Ed,Steve,Don,.... gets ask a zillion ?????? by the same person and they answer them all in one post. Lets see, that happens several times, so the average member is answering questions for the elite members. Hmmm

Mike Koller

Last edited by ShadowE; 06-12-2002 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:07 AM

Steve's

Titles?
How about if we're all just "members," or "friends," or "enthusiasts?" Not one of us knows it all......

Steve

Last edited by ShadowE; 06-12-2002 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:12 AM

mine

I would concur with the feelings on Junior Member, how about just new member?

Once it gets announced, we are gonna have hundreds of people wanting their title changed.....

how about the makers get Knifemaker?

Jason P. Meeks
Old 06-12-2002, 07:21 AM

I agree that there is no *real* reason that we need to have a different handle for anyone. We can all be General Members.

But it would seem to me a natural want to aspire to a higher level. Just guaging someones credibility on post count is real shaky ground, but at the same time it's also a clear indicator of who is a consistent contributor.

Do I feel a sense of importance looking at the word 'Moderator' under my user name? You BET I do! So, my wish is to implement some sort of reward system for contributing members. Guaging the content vs numbers is the real issue, and since that would be too subjective, then a number count is the only quantifiable way to guage.

There is no perfect solution *I* know of. Please work this thread more... (I do like the handle 'Enthusiast')

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 06-12-2002, 05:21 PM
Skilled

Titles?

Here is the point that I am trying to make here. On the CKD there are very well established makers that have done a tremendous job of sharing their experiences and knowledge that have less then 800 posts; I on the other hand have over 800!!! Have I contributed more then them? NO!!! And I dont want to take anything away from them.

Now as far as my suggestions for titles:
ADMINISTRATOR(S)
MODERATOR(S)
ELITE MEMBER(S).... Go by post here if you wish
ENTHUSIAST......... Hold this title till they reach the # of post to qualify for elite status.

other options:
DEALER(S)
SUPPLIER(S)
COLLECTOR(S)

my .02 again
Old 06-12-2002, 06:36 PM
Living Legend

I think Moderators/Administrators need to be designated as moderators/Administrators. Nobody will like another "General Member" deleting, locking or editing their posts. Therefore moderators titles are essencial.

Maybe the individual levels of people could be in the area of years of experience, "Menber 10 years" and captured from the profile somehow. If they fill out their profile and we ask them their years as a knifemaker, we could suck up that info and use it as a title. Just let them pick from a list of Newbie, 5, 10, 15 years by clicking a dot. Or ask for the year they started messing with making/collecting knives.

Another alternative could be to designate full or part time as a title (Including moderators).

Maybe a general member for the first year then "Promoted" to an elite member.

Maybe a title of what they do; Knifemaker, collector, knifemaker and tool builder, Youth knifemaker, Honorary member for the first 6 months, don't know jack, or other title.

People thrive on titles and want to strive for a higher level.

It also is not a bad thing to have everyone as a "valued member" so that nobody thinks they can outrank others and trash them in any way.

The bottonm line here is that some people come to learn and opthers come to sell and still others come to teach, these categories should be recognized in some way and not everyone can be moderators.

People place value on things. If I can solve a problem for people repeatedly and become a "Go to" guy, it would be expected that some notoriety comes with all of the dedicated work.

I don't think the number of posts is a measurement because there are people out there with 1000 posts but 500 of them they got by telling someone for the 20th time that their latest knife looks good, and to keep up the good work.

I wish I could capture all the e-mails I get privately with questions, that would show how valued you are on the forum as well.

Stepping off the soapbox for now. Took a lot of pain killer medicine (Ruptured disks in low back) and feel like I am rambling.

Sorry

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 06-12-2002, 06:36 PM

Mike,

Good points, and I like your suggestions. Sounds like a good beginning. Thanks.

Bob--great points as well. I don't disagree with anyone here. Just interjecting my opinions and ideas. Some of which are lousy..

(experience has shown even me that I must be careful for what I ask for...!)

I love the title 'Valued Member'. I think something--anything--is better than 'General' or 'Basic' member. Make a member feel important from the moment they walk in the door.

Coop

(edited because Bob and I posted at the same time)

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Last edited by SharpByCoop; 06-12-2002 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:18 PM
Living Legend

It is funny that I did not see your post as a new post. The icon showing that there is a new message never came on. I notice that your name was listed as the latest person to post so I came back to read the message. Maybe the forum gets confused if two people post at the same time.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!

Tags
knives