MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Skilled

Forging critique please

Crex, James Mc, Jim & any other forgers...

So I took a bar of 1 1/2" 0-1 and decided to try & hammer out a blade. Because of the width, it sort of just evolved into more of a chef knife, that's okay. I have a couple of issues, and took WAY too many heats, but overall pleased for a first time and looking for critique or constructive criticism.

The left side. Those three dark dimples was a low spot that may grind on out when I finish grinding after HT. They will diminish more.

The right side. Really bad low spot I don't believe will go away with the final grind even though I plan on an "almost" full flat grind. I want to leave the forging pattern on the flats so I don't want a full flat grind.

And then this curious "grainy" pattern Look along the yellowish reflection, little wood grain looking pattern that runs longitudinally along the whole length of the knife. This is with a 60 grit grind. Easier to see with the eye than photograph. Any idea?

It took me way longer than it should and with the relatively thin starting bar stock, I was never really able to refine a plunge line on the anvil edge, at least not that survived the constant tweaking.

After forging I heated to critical and stuck it in sand to slowly cool. Then heated it again, & turned off the forge leaving the blade inside to slowly cool and blocked off the mouth with a firebrick.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!

Tags
2017, anvil, art, blade, chef knife, dip, edge, finish, firebrick, first time, flat, flat grind, forged, forging, grind, grinding, hammer, knife, knives, pattern, repair, sand, simple, thickness, wood