MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 10-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Enthusiast

Traffic stops while carrying concealed--I'm 0 for 3!

Since getting my CCW last year, I've been pulled over three times. Total number of tix received: zero! I can't help but think have the permit has something to do with this. I know it did during my most recent experience:

One night last week I left work at about midnight. Work is located in an area of town that is not the best and whose resident most likely aren't real respectful to LEOs. It was also raining, so the streets were wet. I made a right turn on red and then noticed that the car that was approaching behind me was closer than I thought so I gunned my truck a bit to get some distance. With the wet roads and a manual transmission the result was a spinning of the tires, which surprised me. At this point I didn't even realize the vehicle behind me was a cruiser.

I found out soon enough as I was immediately spot-lighted and then the light bar came on. I immediately pulled to the curb and turned on the dome light. I lowered the window and kept my hands on the wheel. An officer approached on both sides of the vehicle. I kept my hands on the wheel as the officer greeted me. His first question surprised me a little?he asked, ?is this your truck??. I answered ?yes sir?. He then asked if I had a driver?s #######. In Ohio, you?re required to reveal the presence of a concealed weapon to the officer during a traffic stop so I answered, ?yes, and I also have a firearm. I am a concealed carry permit holder?. As soon as I said concealed carry permit holder I could see the officer visibly relax. He asked where my ####### and gun where. My gun was on my right hip and he asked his partner if he could see it, which he could. A screwy provision of Ohio?s law is that the weapon has to be holstered and in sight in a vehicle.

I gave him my ####### and CCW, after making sure it was ok to reach for them and he said, ?if you have a pistol permit, you?re obviously not a criminal. Why did you squeal your tires back there?? I explained about the wet pavement, etc., which he accepted. He then asked if I was leaving work and where I worked. When I gave him the address he responded, ?I?d have a gun too.? With that he returned my docs and we were both on our way.

Not the best way to spend 10 minutes but overall not a bad experience either.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:24 PM
Skilled

In Texas if an officer ask you for your driver's ####### you must also produce your CCW but you do not have to provide information about if you do or do not have a weapon on your person unless ask.

I have had my CCW since 1996. I have been stopped twice since then for speeding. I was speeding both times. One time I got a ticket. The other time I got a warning. Niether time did the officer ask me about a weapon or comment about the CCW.

I drive about 40k miles a year, mostly in Texas. I have a lot of time to observe why ####### are "pulled over" and what type of vehicle they are driving. I now buy and drive "stealth" vehicles. Guess what they are. :^)

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)
Old 10-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Steel Addict

Tom And Jerry,

(Sounds like a good hot Tottie drink in the Winter time.

Glad you both had "fairly" decent experiences with your close encounters with LE. I pulled a few over who told me right away that they were carrying, and I felt much safer. After I found that out, they always left with being told, "Have a great day"!
I wish more law abiding citizens would carry. For all the hoops people have to go thru to get your CCW permit, I really do feel safer running into them, and I carry all the time (Sig. 229 .40 cal.)

Now if I'm ever told,"I'm carrying a Randall"...I would jump out of my skin!

Stay safe,

Kent
Old 10-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Skilled

Interesting posts. I have never had any problems with officers. I am always courteous and respectful when I have been pulled over. I too keep both hands on the wheel now so as to remove any discomfort on their part. My son was an officer in a town 100 miles from me and I guess I learned a few things from him and a few on my own. I once approached an officer working a wreck in the pouring rain in the middle of the night to offer assistance since he was the only one there at that time. He seemed startled as I approached and I immediately knew why. It was cold and I had both hands jammed down into my raincoat pockets. I slowly withdrew my hands, palms toward the officer as I was asking if he needed help. I could sense the calm immediately. Dumb me! But what a great lesson learned. I have tremendous respect for law enforcement people! What an important and underpaid job! Thanks Guys!

Seussbrother
Old 10-14-2005, 08:38 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences fellas. I too have a CCW and have always wondered how the Officers would respond / react to CCW holders. I always keep both hands on the wheel and always announce every move to the Officer before I make it...carrying or not.

My Father and Step-father were both Reserve Deputies for a number of years and a number of my friends are Cops...always had alot of respect for those who where a badge...plus they back me up when a patient wants to fight or act "a fool", glad they are there.

Rob

Old 10-15-2005, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

The 'attitude' varies widely with location, although most cops are subject to the same hazards (and idiots!) and generally respect those people who work to keep them safe.

There were rumors a couple years ago that anyone with a CC permit was getting stopped and hassled if they were in the Austin, Texas area. (It's our state designated leftist habitat.) I've never heard of problems anywhere else in Texas.

I spent a couple of frigid years in central NY and was pretty P.O.'d to find out I had to get a CC just to posess pistols I had owned for years. Took me 9 months to get the paperwork pushed through. I was treated worse than any criminal. I had to join a private club in order to target shoot. Since most of the local cops were also members, things were pretty cool. (Over time I came to rely on those club members as people I could trust as contractors, etc.) But I mentioned something about gun laws to a couple of Syracuse cops one day and they went on and on about how only cops should have guns "... or else the state would be like Texas where cops are gunned down on every street corner." I pointed out that this opinion of theirs was absurd. (In fact, shooting a cop in Texas is the equivalent of designating open season on your life - and the bad guys know that.) Those two guys were not interested in facts, so the conversation ended pretty quickly after that. Shortly thereafter, I read about a guy who was stopped for speeding, got lippy with the cops, and was charged with carrying a concealed weapon in his car. The weapon? A softball bat. (He was on his way home from a softball game.) I always wondered if it was that same 2 cops.

Old 10-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Skilled

If you carry a baseball bat in your vehicle, always, always carry a baseball glove and baseball, really!

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)
Old 10-25-2005, 09:14 AM
Registered

I have had a CCW for a little over 10 years....5 in South Carolina and now nearly 5 in North Carolina. Over that period of time, I've been stopped (legitimately I should note) some 3 times for speeding. In each instance, when approached by the LEO, I advised that I had a CCW and that the firearm was in the vehicle but not on me. In all three cases, the officer wanted to know if it was loaded and each time I responded "of course". Each time that comment elicited a grin from the officer. Each time I was admonished to "slow er down", was handed my ####### and registration back and sent on my way. Like many, I feel that the LEO's comfort level rises exponentially when a good citizen advises that they qualified for and have a CCW. That should pretty much assure the LEO that the person he has stopped has no criminal record, is not an escapee from a mental institution and well...probably a ####ed good citizen. Just my viewpoint.

Old 12-10-2005, 11:51 PM
Enthusiast

Don't Forget the Clerks at Christmas

Celebrated my 41st Anniversary of having a concealed weapons permit this month by sending the County Pistol Permit Clerks some pizza, wings, soda pop and a gourmet gift basket with fruit. Those folks are caught solidly between the proverbial rock (government red tape-lousy pay, & long hours) and hard place (Whiners who want what they want when they want it in the form of amendments now, and immediate NYSIIS & NCIC background checks)

Sending those folks a little Christmas Basket, some stuff from Harry & David, or that cheese outfit right around now isn't a bad way to say "thanks" and maybe bank a little good will for future use. Regards, DOug

Tags
forge