MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 03-06-2019, 10:56 AM
Skilled

Randall Astro tie clip with Orlando provenance

I recently purchased this Randall Astro tie clip in an eBay auction. It came from the Orlando area. After I received it, I inquired about the history, if known, about it from the seller.
Following was the sellers response. It demonstrates that it's important to ask questions sometimes. This note adds just another little piece of the Randall history for us.

IMG-20190306-115331

The sellers response:

"Hi Sam,
My father Bill Berry, received the clip directly from Mr. Randall Sr. when he was a guest on my dad's tv program "Digest" on WDBO TV in the early 1960's. That CBS station is now WCPX Orlando. My dad covered all the space shots and his weekly program was a public interest interview program. He died in 1979. He was a pioneer in radio and tv in Central Florida and the first tv weatherman here! It's a real keepsake so enjoy it!
Regards, Helen"

This seems to illustrate Bo used the tie clips for PR and advertising in the Orlando area. WDBO was probably the largest media outlet in the area at the time.

Here is info that I found on Mr Berry from the WDBO radio station website. http://cflradio.net/580_wdbo_am_2.htm

Mr Berry's Obituary:

J. L. "Bill" Berry
Daytona Beach Morning Journal
Feb. 4, 1979

Orlando-James Lawrence "Bill" Berry, 61, co-host of the "Sunrise Jubilee" program, on WFTV, Channel 9, died Saturday. Berry joined WFTV in 1978 and had conducted more than 400 interviews with agribusiness guests from Central Florida. Berry was credited with being the areas first television weatherman and hosted the first Cerebral Palsy Telethon. The Seneca, S.C., native began his broadcasting career when he left the Army in 1945. He first worked for a Sarasota radio station and moved to Orlando two years later when he was part of the staff, which put WHOO Radio on the air in 1947. In 1949 Berry joined WDBO Radio ands television (channel 6) where he worked for 22 years. Berry resigned in 1971 to form his own advertising agency, Bill Berry Associates. During his long broadcasting career, Berry received more than 100 community service awards and citations a WFTV spokesman said.

Last edited by samg; 03-07-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:52 PM
Skilled

Great job Sam!
Old 03-06-2019, 02:21 PM
Skilled

Thanks Bill. It's good to be lucky occasionally! Of course this will lead to finding out if there is a copy of that interview out there.
Good stuff.

Sam
Old 03-06-2019, 02:48 PM
Skilled

For those who are interested in central Florida history, here is a YouTube link to a WDBO special that mentions Bill Berry's Digest show at the 9 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/K7jx0y2qbWQ

Tags
army, htm, randall, show, special, youtube