MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 11-19-2014, 06:17 AM
Enthusiast

escutcheon plate-- very odd, but WOW

I found these knife with escutcheon on AZCK .dot com.. They want 2k for the bowie and 1200 for the matching Dagger... WOW! Love these, but i just bought a 9-12 brassback with ivory handle..

Here are the pics since we are talking about ESCUTCHEON handles..

Look at the plate recessed into the ivory handle.. Very nice.. Look at the BRASS GUARD.. Its on steriods.. Love that thick handmade GUARD VS what Randall offers today!

Like i see what the older randall collectors say "They dont make em like that any more

I want these BAD!.. I cant have em all! hopefully someone can make AZCK a offer.. I was thinking of making a offer.. but... i cant

Last edited by dax0007; 11-22-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:56 AM
Skilled

Don, these are really impressive. Huge thick guard, Moore sheaths, x-large leather spacers, relatively vertical tear-drop shaped flutes with large individual tines, tear-drop shaped flutes on the coolie cap... plus the oblong escutcheon plate. That is a very early Bowie and 13-12, I would guess probably first year of manufacture... Beautiful.

Note that even before the production of the King Fiasel II set, Randall had gone away from using the thick leather spacers which were apparently only used for a short time at the very beginning of Bowie production. I'll post your pictures in a larger format this evening. Good eye.

What is odd is that the guard does not have the extension lugs braised on the ends. I've never seen that. There really hasn't been much published about Randall Bowies and most of what is known has been passed down. The best book that pictorially covers Randall Bowies that I've found is Hunts Randall Military Models, good pictures and information. Gaddis does a pretty thorough job in recounting the initial design and production of the Bowies.

"Dating a Randall Bowie" might be the only chat line I've seen that dealt with Bowies much, and it was mostly concerned with coolie caps and collars. Still some good things were posted there from solid collectors who generally do not participate on line.
http://knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63508

Some additional information especially pictures of historic Bowies were posted in this line.
http://knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61540

Regards, Jack Williams

Last edited by Jacknola; 11-19-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Enthusiast

Jacknola, thanks for your detailed observation.. your knowledge is apprciated.. I sent a offer in to AZCK account after thinking when will i see another set like this, however my offer was low compared to the asking price of around 3500.. My push was they were sharpened in used, but ohh so ..

I am sure the best of the best stuff is sitting in homes of people worth MUCH... Its amazing how many collectors dont show case their stuff.. How can u NOT? Else these beautys just sit and time goes by.. shame..... This THREAD you have created on Delrin and now plates has really excited my collecting and knowledge..!
hanks

I will check out those links to educate myself and see if i can find that book on feebay..
Old 12-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

Possible delrin alert on arizonia customs

Guys,, Check this out.. I believe the sheath tells the story, but i could be wrong..
The claim its IVORITE which i guess in the mid 60 was the term for DELRIN, then it became MICARTA.. I beleive thisknife to be DELRIN..

Anyone care to take a stab at it? Sheath looks 60s.. So does the COOLIE..

I emailed AZCK to see what they think.. Still a RARE FIND for a Randall DELRIN collector

I posted the link because everytime i try to upload pics i lose pics i posted of my collection on other postings... I gotta learnhow to use that drop box

http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/p...t-listing.aspx
Old 12-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Yes I think that is Delrin.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:43 AM
Skilled

After a hiatus, I'm going to resume posting Delrin handled Randalls to have a centralized reference source for those future collectors to access.

These two pictures are of the 12-11 Smith referenced by "dax" and offered on Arizona knives link above. I believe this is Delrin and the knife is quite nice.

This next one is a pristine 12-6, probably about 1968-69 that was offered recently by Zimmerman. I'm not particularly drawn to 12-6 as a knife, but this is a fine example of both the knife and the Delrin handle.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-26-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:34 PM

beautiful knife!!

:-)Rocky
Old 11-28-2015, 08:25 PM
Registered

Cool vintage Randall white tenite knife

There's a vintage Randall white tenite knife being auctioned on eBay now 11/28/15, for all those interested, Thank you.!
Old 11-30-2015, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast

I've been lusting over the 12-6 but his initial price was high[1595] but he's not getting any bites[including Ebay] at $1195.
I'll keep lusting I guess.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Skilled

I'm going to continue to post individual Delrin-handled Randalls as they surface. This one is currently on E-bay, which is the source for the pictures. I/m dong this so that there is a centralized reference library should someone in the future wish to research further. Of course the heart of this line is on page 2, the reference time-lines.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-26-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Skilled

Here is another Delrin-handled knife, apparently from the same collection as the Bowie above (both cryptically etched "K-144" on reverse side.) I've never really cared much for the big Bowies or the toothpicks, but this is a beautiful knife - (but with a crappy solder job). It is also currently on E-bay, which is the source of the pictures.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-26-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:32 PM
Skilled

Ronnie, that is so cool I am floored. He sounds like someone I would have liked to know with that quirky humor. I might research him to see if he was a Vietnam Veteran or something. Thanks for the cool info... and good on the seller to actually be interested enough to get and pass on the information. Regards.

Last edited by Jacknola; 12-07-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:22 AM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Jack I thought you might find that info interesting.
Ronnie
Old 12-07-2015, 12:30 AM
Steel Addict

Jack I just heard from the seller who asked that I delete that post as that info was private and he only intended it for me. I don't know why he wanted me to erase it, but I deleted my post. Sorry.
Ronnie
Old 05-13-2016, 09:17 AM
Skilled

I continue to occasionally add Delrin-handled knives to this line so that in the future, someone can search and find a central resource.

The little bear below is currently on E-bay, and it is very good looking. It also sports an etched logo. There are several little bears with Delrin handles that have surfaced, and have been included in this line. Why it was used so often on little bears is a mystery. Also note the soft-Arkansas stone with this one. A similar knife, also with etched logo, was posted earlier here, but it had a two-grit stone. (add: this is probably the same knife with the stone changed out...stones are substituted so often that they are not very reliable as markers, in my opinion).

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-26-2017 at 09:48 PM.

Tags
back, bee, blade, bowie, brand, brass, chain, forged, handle, handle material, handles, ivory, knife, knives, made, material, micarta, model 7, nylon, post, randall, sheath, shop, spacer, tang