MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 09-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Enthusiast

Given the normal lack of utility for a dagger, the obviously harshly used knife which saw many hard times, as well as its vintage, it would be hard to imagine that knife not having some war stories from perhaps several wars under its belt....locked into a vise at some point, perhaps to try to bend guard back, then brazed when it started cracking, perhaps at a forward area repair shop......
Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPryor View Post
In the closeup I see what appears to be fine scratches on the bevel, which I thought maybe looked like someone has cleaned it up..with sandpaper, or maybe steelwool.
An old post i am replying to, and will mainly reference the above close-ups of the new knife above still showing in seperate post, but will point out a crucial step in the making of a Randall knife.

For those of you accustomed to monkeying around inside nicer older guns, the Randall blade finish may look somehow familiar but you are unable to pin down exactly where you have seen that feel/texture/surface.

Here is a hint. Think of any moving parts inside the gun subject to friction which the maker wished to have operate smoothly, such as side of rubbing parts or engagement surfaces.

The maker stoned the parts. As does Randall in making the blades. The billet/bar is air hammer forged into the thickness/length/profile of what is needed for a particular blade including the tang while minimizing material waste and subsequent grinding. Probably bevels are added by hand and almost certainly blades are straightened by hand forging. Then the blade shape is defined with grinding. Then surfaces are cleaned up, trued and edges refined/crisped-up via STONING, and then comes the polishing, which is minimal. Those are stoning marks on the blades. It is one of the true charms of the knife in my eyes, how much more handmade can you get than to have surfaces stoned?

As different workers of various experience levels run the blades through the process, the amount of grinding, stoning and polishing marks on each blade will vary tremendously. As they probably always have since Bo Randall hired a shop full of folks to meet WWII demand.

Before any reader says "oooh yuckey pooh, why can't Randall do a prettier job then, for that sort of money?", the point is that Randall intentionally makes their knives almost identically as they did in, say, 1952. and if you think Randall must have been substandard to other legends, look at the below close-up of a mint condition Scagel, keeping in mind HIS knives also varied tremendously from knife to knife, handmade, yah know....

Last edited by mtngunr; 09-06-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:06 PM

Model 2-6

Just picked this 2-6 up recently. The handle material is the new shop ivorite, it's so smooth and nice with just a hint of carmel in places that it almost fooled me into thinking maybe I got lucky and paid for ivorite handle and got an ivory one. The handle material and nickle silver hilt are the only 2 options ordered. It will fit in nicely with my collection of model 2's.

Thanks for looking,

Dan in Sillycon Valley, CA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Randall model 2-6 ivory b.JPG (77.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Randall model 2-6 ivory e.JPG (79.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Enthusiast

it is beautiful. it is the only Randall design that i cannot justify for any use whatsoever, aside from weapon. and yet, such a classic weapon, i probably want one more than anything else at this time.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:02 AM

I've always liked the model #2, perhaps it's the symmetry. I agree that it is limited as a functional tool but if you want to dress up a knife it makes a great place to start.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

it is a shape that pre-dates written languages and the dawn of history, and deserves classic treatment. those are worthy of a Renaissance prince
Old 09-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Steel Addict

Yes, I really like those Model 2's!
-Steve

Last edited by cut_n_run; 09-07-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

A 2-6 will surely be my next one.....just need to talk to the shop and see what i can depart from standard in regards to handle thickness on various styles....most are too fat at the back for my tastes, jacking the knife away from the body up high and forever getting hung on stuff as i move...basic color a scheme will be red micarta, brass hilt/guard, flush nut on pommel, slimmed/radiused brass buttcap if required for said flush nut, and if spacers are required, they will be solid black, stainless blade in a black Model A sheath with no stone pocket....state of the art 1965 custom.....
Old 09-09-2012, 08:18 PM

I'm hesitant to suggest a few potential changes because you clearly know what you like. But just as a thought, you didn't include stainless steel. I think the model #2, more than most, benefits from stainless and is not encumbered by it. Strictly from an esthetical perspective you may want to consider a nickel silver hilt. I don't think brass and red compliment each other as well as NS and red. Additionally, as persnickety as you are, I don't think you'll be happy with the balance of a model #2 with a brass butt cap. The double grind necessarily removes a lot of blade weight and a commando shaped handle removes a considerable amount of handle weight. Factor in your desire for a "thinned" handle and, in my opinion, your model #2 will be objectionably butt heavy with a full brass butt cap.
Again, I respect your opinion and I'll be glad to help you get it made. Just thought this was worth mentioning.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Enthusiast

i appreciate the input and was most definitely wanting to avoid a brass buttcap if possible, or any buttcap, for that matter, and spacers of any sort, as well. also fully intended stainless as the knife, which i neglected to mention while rushed and typing at work, will likely never even cut string, and i might prefer less fragile O-1 for a user, but that is a non-issue on this knife.

As for brass or nickel silver hilt, simply a personal taste, i think the gold of the brass looks very nice with both red and green, while nickel silver is a no-brainer with black.

Functionally, i think the nickel silver clearly superior for a hilt/guard as it is at least twice the strength of brass, and will be going "inferior" strictly based on my own aesthetic sense.

No denying the red/nickel-silver/stainless would be gorgeous, but in this case i am trying to avoid the monochrome look with stainless blade, gold guard/hilt, red/purple handle, black sheath with silver snap, an understated rainbow without ostentation.

As for balance, this being a fighter, and me having served in combat before, i know no plan survives contact with the enemy, and the knife might actually get used despite wishes otherwise. i would want it to balance as a fighter, back in the hand for manueverability of blade, and personal taste is it balance on the index finger rest position behind the guard. if i MUST put a thin buttcap at pommel to get that, i will. Most certainly do not want a blade heavy dagger. Blade heavy is for hacking and a dagger is not.

i am hoping the 6" lighter blade, even with back end of commando handle somewhat flattened/slimmed on sides, will still have enough bulk in the micarta handle to get the balance i would prefer, without resorting to adding weight to the knife. Adding weight to a fighter to get balance is much like throwing sandbags in a racecar trunk, and to be avoided whenever possible.

PS, just checked original shopping list, and wasn't as rushed as thought, i did mention stainless, which i WAS rushed enough to not know for sure until this moment.

Last edited by mtngunr; 09-09-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:23 PM

Here's an interesting Model 2 that came up on e-bay a number of years ago: I put it ~ mid-50's. It has an elephant ivory handle, nickel silver hilt, seven spacers and a sterile blade with a name etch of "PAUGUK". If any of you guys are Hiawatha fans, you may remember the name: Pauguk is the personification of death. He is represented as existing without flesh or blood. He is a hunter, but he hunts only men, women, and children. His bones are covered by a thin transparent skin and his eye sockets as filled with balls of fire. Just to see him is a sure indication of imminent death.

I was outbid, but saved the seller's photos.

Best,

Ron
Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 PM

Hey Ron,

That is some knife.

Alan Grombacher
RKS#5531
Old 09-14-2012, 06:55 PM

Hi Alan!

Agreed. I thought I had bid enough to win it, as it was not listed as a Randall. I was pretty disappointed. That's not the 1st time I've been outbid on something I wanted pretty bad and I'm sure it won't be the last. The trick is to be happy with what you are able to get.

Best,

Ron
Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBlade View Post
Hi Alan!

The trick is to be happy with what you are able to get.

Best,

Ron

Ron,

That is a great quote to live bye.

Alan
Old 05-12-2016, 04:16 PM
Skilled

A pair of Model 2-7" Ivorite

Just pulling out a few knives for cleaning....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (34.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (40.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (43.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (37.0 KB, 13 views)

Tags
back, bevel, blade, brass, design, forged, forging, grinding, guard, hammer, handle, hone, hunting knife, ivory, knife, knives, material, post, randall, repair, sheath, spacer, tang, vintage