MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 07-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Skilled

Angry crybaby customers

I'm one week behind on a knife and the belt is crying about it We discussed no time frame and I gave a $100
discount because he's a repeat buyer and I thought a friend. well
geuss what I gave updates weekly.So what would ya'll
do?

NT screaming gamecock Gann
Old 07-10-2003, 12:09 PM
Skilled

Unhappy Impatient customer

I think dealing with customers impatience is part of the business end of knifemaking. I would however be sure to discuss a timetable even if that timetable is that there is no timetable. If it is not discussed there easily can be a misunderstanding. I give customers a time estimate but I am also sure to tell them that there are many things that can impact that estimate. I also try to give customers updates. It pleases them to hear progress is being made. Some customers you just can not please. You remain gracious and do your best to assure them that you are concerned with their impatience and will do the best that you can for them.

If it's personal you can tell a person where to go. If it's business you do whats best for the business. This is what I feel comfortable with.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds". Albert Einstein
Old 07-10-2003, 04:53 PM
Enthusiast

Re: crybaby customers

Quote:
Originally posted by GANNMADE
I'm one week behind on a knife and the belt is crying about it We discussed no time frame and I gave a $100
discount because he's a repeat buyer and I thought a friend. well
geuss what I gave updates weekly.So what would ya'll
do?
No time frame was discussed, right? Then why are you a week behind?

Seems to me you dug yourself into a hole with this gentleman....weekly updates and such.

I believe in the "customer is always right" theory, so, finish this knife quickly and ship something with the knife to add a little more value......like a box of chocolates.

Al P.

Last edited by Al Polkowski; 07-10-2003 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Living Legend

Wink People just bein' people.

Theres all sorts of them. Sometimes, things just have to be discussed in greater detail (disclaimers and all) but there are always going to be customers who want this, that and more. In as much as many of us would like to think of this as an "art" etc. there is the business side of selling your wares also which can be really stressful. I am always wary of those who butter you up and then act as if you need to do more and more "special" things to satisfy them, some of these make it a career to be a pain-in-the-a##, I have had one turn into a nighmare for me - harassing and almost stalking (in the technical term) me at one stage - creepy to the max.

You have to draw your own line how you deal with customers and the limits you go to when they are not happy. I have found that the customer is right approach works 99% of the time. There's that small minority who will give you a hard time no matter what. I firmly believe that good communication is the key and when that fails, it was bound to fail anyway. I commonly remind customers of the original agreement we came to before ordering the knife, thats why I keep all my emails till the deal is done and finished, sometimes even longer.

It always stings. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 07-12-2003, 03:45 PM
Skilled

yes there was no timeline discussed this fellow informed me that I WAS LATE but that's what happens when you try to be nice.From now on no special orders .I hate for him to order from someone with a two year wait list

Old 07-14-2003, 04:22 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally posted by GANNMADE
yes there was no timeline discussed this fellow informed me that I WAS LATE
If that's the case then maybe you should:

1) remind him, politely, that no specific timeline was discussed; and
2) give him a delivery date and make sure it is one you can comfortably meet.

I've got to say that even if you were a week behind your promised delivery date, I can't imagine I'd notice, much less complain. Considering that we're talking about something hand-made, and that there are any number of variables associated with the manufacture of the knife, I think whining about one week is pretty lame.

On a separate note, one thing I do appreciate from makers is a heads-up that my knife is nearing completion - maybe a week or two (or three) in advance - so that I can make sure I have the funds ready to go without delay when the knife is done.

Cheers,

Roger
Old 07-14-2003, 09:34 PM
Skilled

oh,he was happy as a pup with a new bone when I gave him the knife.After going back over the dates I was on time I'm
just going to make what I want and people can choose from a selection I don't need the money or the head ach

Old 07-15-2003, 05:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Have you thought about the knife i was thinking about ordering from you? Is it done yet? If I ordered one to my specs, would I have to wait? If I ordered one that took three times as long to make, could i get it in half the time for half the price? On the last one I orderd 3 months ago I would like to change a few things. I want it just like that, only different. Just change it around so it looks the same only nothing like it did before. I hope this won't be a problem.

Old 07-15-2003, 05:58 PM
Skilled

yeah they want custom at low prices and no wait they can go to wally world.I like the ones that say do it the way you want and don't worry about the price

Old 07-15-2003, 06:45 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Hoo yaa! Aren't they the best?!! Even better are the ones that say do it the way you want and then, after they get it, they send you a two or 3 hundred dollar bonus! Gotta luv those people and treat them extra good next time too....
Old 07-16-2003, 12:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I hope this won't be a problem
[reply]
no problem at all
[send]
[delete]

Old 07-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hoo yaa! Aren't they the best?!! Even better are the ones that say do it the way you want and then, after they get it, they send you a two or 3 hundred dollar bonus!
Could I pretty please get a list of those names?????????????

Tanya

Old 07-16-2003, 10:47 PM
Master

I just can't understand someone bring so impatient that, even if there was a delivery date, they would get upset about a onw week delay. I am now waiting for a knife that should have been to me three months ago. That is when I sent the money. Since that time there has been a comedy of errors and I think that I will be getting the knife in the next 2-3 weeks. You know what, crap happens. Not for one minute have I thought that I was not going to be getting my knife.

By the way, one nice thing about all the screw ups, I am now getting a knife with a damascus blade instead of the 52100 I ordered. The maker is doing this to make up for the inconvenience; he sure didn't have to.

This is a situation in which I would not do very well. I would likely tell him what he could do with the knife. I'm sure that would be the wrong thing to do, but at that point I doubt I'd care anymore.

Old 07-18-2003, 05:09 PM
Skilled

this always gets me. Unless your a butcher or chef or about to ship out overseas, where is the need to have a blade right now? And if your a butcher or chef and don't have other knives you can use in the meantime well then your not a very good butcher or chef in my book.

I have 3 blades on order right now. One from 3 years ago, One from 2 years ago and one from about a year ago. 6 months after the year order was placed I changed it to Damascus. The thing is in each case I told the makers the same thing. Take your time and make it so that you are happy with it.

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 07-21-2003, 08:43 AM

A favorite saying my wife often uses: "When you are dealing with the public..."
About all you can do is grin and bear it. At those times, thinnk about the good customers!

Tags
blade, knife, knives