MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 10-12-2022, 03:22 PM
Skilled

Vintage wood handle 1-8. Help

I bought this wood handle vintage 1-8 (below left) because it was apparently about the same vintage as the 1-7 “Magic Randall.” (http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57968)

1-8 with 1-7 “magic Randall”

The blade seems to be early '60s. (I would welcome critique of that opinion). The sheath is also from very early 1960s, brown button Heiser KL. Stone is decent condition, gray two-grit but with no discernable paint. I can't identify the wood(walnut?). Most of usual knife age markers seem to point to 1960-62. However, the 5-spacers, instead of seven, are the problem. I only see two options to explain the knife, though perhaps there are others:

(1) ...the knife was rehandled in the early-mid 1970s, by the shop. But these 5-spacers appear different from the 5-pacer arrangement found in the later 1970s…

(2) ...the knife had these spacers when originally handled in early ‘60s.

I would welcome opinions from people more knowledgeable about spacers and '60s "fighter" blade grinds than moi. Thanks... and if anyone knows what this wood is, I would appreciate a clue.

1-8 with sheath, stamp side

1-8 with sheath opposite side

Last edited by Jacknola; 10-24-2022 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-14-2022, 01:30 PM
Skilled

Well I’m fairly confident the blade matches the sheath age, 1960-61. I'm conflicted about spacers and handle. I’ve decided the handle may be walnut which was available (I think) in early 1960s. For comparison, I found a couple of Big Jim’s early ‘60s, late 50s leather handled knives. Also, I have a couple of early ‘70s walnut handled knives. So, I created a composite picture comparing these four with the subject 1-8.

Two Walnut handled early ‘70s knives

Two leather handled early ‘60s posted online by BigJim

The subject 1-8. I’ve tentatively concluded the handle may be walnut. Best I can determine it was available in 1960 though I don’t think I’ve seen many knifes from that period with walnut handles..

I

Comparison of spacers. I cannot reach a conclusion about spacer age. I’m tempted to say the knife was rehandled in early-mid ‘70s but it could be original. I wish some model 1 blade grind/spacer folks would opine. If not, I’ll live with the uncertainty.

Last edited by Jacknola; 10-14-2022 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2022, 11:42 AM
Skilled

Hey Jack
Most definitely the wood is figured walnut. The 1960's Randall catalogs offered walnut as an option.

All the best,
Sam G

Tags
blade, blade grind, ca, grind, handle, identify, knife, knives, leather, made, need help, problem, randall, sheath, shop, spacers, vintage, walnut, wood