MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 10-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Skilled

Beautiful 5s guys! Thanks for sharing!

BH, you just might need to go somewhere to see if you can pick up an old Randall somewhere Dang, what a pile of knives!

Rod I think that Narwhal is the queen mother of handle materials. Such character, shape, color etc, etc, etc. Great choice in my humble opinion.

seuss
Old 10-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Steel Addict

narwhal

Seuss

Thanks for your opinion. Yeah I will need to start looking and seeing what I can find. Tom Clinton is always a good place to start..

All the best
Rod
Old 10-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Steel Addict

Rod
Heres Narwhal Knife handle you could pick up

http://cgi.ebay.com/NARWHAL-IVORY-DA...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 10-31-2006, 09:27 PM
Steel Addict

Dick

Thanks for the heads up. If the narwhal was attached to a RMK, Model 5, I would be very interested. But as it is, no thanks.

I have started to search for narwhal. If/when I get a RMK with a narwhal handle, I will post pics here.

Rod
Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast

mama bear and papa bear....

Some time back i bought the wife a little 5-4, and it is a treasure to her, used daily in the kitchen....later, she began asking as to what i really wanted for birthday, as she had been saving a long time even when it hurt, and finally i walked over to her 5-4 and picked it up and said what i would really like would be something like her little 5-4, something pretty and classic, as any Randall i own has always been as bulletproof as possible, too much time in the Army......yesterday she presented me with papa bear to match her mama bear.....if anyone asks what is my favorite Randall, the answer is "the one given with love"....THIS one...a nice 5-5....

Old 11-30-2012, 12:16 PM

That is indeed a treasured Randall! I like how the stag is shaped... almost like a single finger grip.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:31 PM

Great pair of #5's you and your wife have there mtngunr! Gorgeous stag on both of them!

I know a guy who would really go for those.

Hint: he posted right above you.

Cheers!

David

P.S. Rick, I think one should be able to order stag shaped like the #5-5.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:54 PM

Happy Birthday, mtngunr!

I like 5's as well (Just not as much as 3's). The neatest one I ever owned was a Bearcamp Special. The earliest one I ever owned was one from WWII. According to Gaddis, Bo didn't come out with a civilian version of his Model 1 until post WWII. However, several years ago some guy picked this up at the San Francisco Cow Palace gun show and put it up on e-bay:

He thought it was a 60's knife and I guess a lot of other people did as well as it went cheap. The primary "tells" it was WWII were the brass nut and washer and the stamp placement. The CJ Moore sheath was the icing.

Best,

Ron

PS: I was doing a random Randall search on the internet a while ago and ran across the 1911 forum. Those guys miss you a lot!

Last edited by BoBlade; 11-30-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Enthusiast

Ron, that old girl is an eye opener, and i appreciate the re-education into #5 (or close enough) history...gives new appreciation to ours....mine is new and hers is about 20yrs old.....the stag on both of ours is very ergonomic...

for the record, i was a bit more specific in what i would want, were someone to spend that sort of money...relatively smaller diameter rather than a stag log on blade, down-turn (and left, if it could be determined), and a knife along the lines of a Model 3-4 or 3-5, or Model 5-4 or 5-5...

considering she knows nothing of Randalls, she did VERY well...birthday is actually 2wks out but it arrived and she wanted me to look over what she spent her money on, while some chance of returning goods if not correct, or if she had been taken (which she feared greatly)....it was pre-owned but unused and she gave 10% under catalog price for same knife, and i told her i needed her to shop for me from now on...
Old 11-30-2012, 04:23 PM

She did really well, mtngunr! She sure is a keeper. I have one of those myself, although I'm not so sure she would have done as well. Use it in good health.

Take care and best........
Old 12-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks so much for the compliments, guys....both as to wife, where i know i married above my station in life, and as to the gorgeous new gift knife from her.....

of course, the pleasure in owning a new sports car is finding out what she can do and what she cannot, and getting to know her, so with temps in the sunny 70s, have spent the afternoon on the front porch whittling, a tough job, i know.....for anyone accustomed to working with wood, you will recognize a great tool from the clean cuts....this little knife is bigger than it looks....a highly recommended model and size.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:28 AM

Hi mtngunr!

I'm happy to see your new Randall hard at work. I'm also pleased to learn that your #5 makes a good whittling knife. I didn't realize that it could be used for woodcarving.

The reason I became (and still am) enamoured with these knives is that they are fundamentally made to be used. The simple construction of almost all RMK models lends themselves to make great cutting tools for a variety of purposes. They are tough and reliable.

Of course that does not prevent folks from keeping them in their brand new mint condition to collect and admire. However, regardless of one's means, one could eventually have a user and a collection piece.

Cheers!

David

Last edited by Moosehead; 12-03-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast

well, the Model 5 Camper/Camp and Trail was primarily sold as a heavy blade general purpose outdoorsman knife, such a knife normal duties being food, game, and fire preparation....longer versions could be called upon for brush/limb clearing of site or blind/hide, or other heavy chores if one was caught accidentally without a good belt axe readily at hand...to those who try to make do without a good little axe/hatchet, only comments being "why?!" and "more power to you"....

.....so, the knife is great on a cutting board, and certainly can be called on to do basic firebuilding chores such as fuzzsticks, shavings, skinning bark, etc....for anyone dying to use one but never has, CLEAN wood will do no harm, nor will CLEAN veggies on a wooden cutting board...skinning dirty bark and whatnot totally different deal, guaranteed to spiderweb blade with uber-fine scratches.

i own quite a few new ones, put away for resale at a later date, but any personal ones get used, although i have no problem seeing keeping a mint specimen to admire and cause regret over the used ones....wink!
Old 08-29-2018, 12:17 PM
Enthusiast

This is one of the most gorgeous Model 5-8's that I've ever seen, and I'd been lusting after it for a while. I first saw it on the "Captains" table, at the Randall shop Spring Sale in 2016. (lower left side). And I am proud to now have it in my collection.

Tags
911, axe, back, bee, blade, brand, brass, education, fire, knife, knives, made, make, post, randall, sheath, shop, simple, skinning, stag, tools, whittling, wood