MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:29 AM

How to learn to be a knife maker?

Greetings to all of you. Can someone please tell me what are the primary things that i need to know for beginning about making knives? I am new here and i want to be knifemaker.

Best.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

A good place to start would be to tell us who you are, what skills you might have that could relate to knife making, where you are so knife makers in your area might offer you some hands on help, and not least of all, fill out your profile.

Knife making is a large and complex subject. There are many ways to make knives, many ways to accomplish any given part of knife making so exactly how YOU make knives will depend on your skills, your tools, and even where you live. For instance, if you live in the middle of an upscale neighborhood you probably aren't going to be able to get away with running a power hammer in your back yard.

There is no knife making encyclopedia but there are plenty of books and videos available. We are happy to answer specific questions but we can't really teach you knife making from the ground up - you need to do your homework. Get some magazines like Blade or Knives Illustrated to start. Get some books and videos, you can find the most popular ones listed here: http://www.rayrogers.com/books.htm

Catalogs from the knife supply houses are an excellent way to find out what tools and supplies a knife maker might expect to use so order some catalogs. Some of them even have little tutorials about various aspects of knife making. The catalogs are better than the websites when you DON'T know what it is you want because all the options are laid out in front of you.

All of the knife supply places sell pre-made kit blades too. Those are an excellent way to get your feet wet, almost all of us start with those. Go to knifekits.com and pick a blade and some cheap handle material. Use files and sandpaper to shape and finish the handle and get a taste of knife making. What files do I need is the first question you'll probably ask - look in the catalog of on the website. What files do they sell? Those are the files you need, that's why a knife supply place sells those particular files.

We also have a Chat Room on Sunday afternoon. Look at the Sticky threads at the top of this forum for details. Visiting the Chat Room is the biggest boost you can get short of visiting someone's shop.

Welcome to the journey. If you apply yourself we will help you achieve your knife making goals ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Skilled

welcome to the forum!

im discovering that ray is a wealth of great information. as are many others on this site.

personally I think, to be a knife maker.... you have to make knives! don't be afraid to try something new because you haven't done it before. jump in.... get your hands all scraped up and dirty. the first few you complete will fill you with a great sense of accomplishment.... then a year or 2 later youll look back on them and realize how much more you've learned.

the wayne goodard books are another good reference. a lot of ideas and sources of materials for creative people on a budget.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Wonder-o...item2c8766f5eb
Old 09-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Skilled

As far as equipment, remember, knives have been made thousands of years before the invention of electricity. Visit the Sunday chat for sure, and if you can visit a knifemaker in your area do it. A book or video is one thing, actually seeing it (or if your lucky some hammer time) is worth its weight in burnt steel.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Steel Addict

I am a newbee. I have been making knives for just under 2 years. I will you that every word written on this post is incredibly true. I would add a couple of things.

1. Go visit YouTube. There are several videos that are wonderful.

2. Do not be intimidated by the tools others have. You don't have to buy everything day one. First decide how you want to make knives and scary saving.

3. Join a guild if there is one in your area

4. Knife makers as a whole will help you if you are coach able.

Enjoy the journey. You will meet great people, learn a lot, and eventually make knives you are proud of. Good luck
Old 09-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Skilled

Welcome!

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein
Old 09-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Steel Addict

One thing you need to consider is getting in touch with a knife maker in your area. One more reason. To fill out some of your profile so we can get you directed it the right guy. I consider myself a beginner and probably always will because I'm always learning from Ray and all the guys here. I have had numerous guys In my shop to help them out with trubles they are having or for them to learn about folder making. I Can usually help someone faster in person than I could through PM's or emails.

Welcome to The forum

Erik
Old 09-11-2014, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Find a copy of Wayne Goddard's "$50 Knife Shop". Very simple and yet contains lots of good info for anyone getting started making knives.

When I started, I was talking to a knifemaker that was selling supplies at a gun show. I asked him what I needed to have to make a knife. He replied, "Desire." He then walked me through the process of making my first knife. I've never forgotten that one word of insight he gave me. When I see all the crazy things people do in order to make knives and to try to expand their abilities, that knifemaker's perspective becomes crystal clear. They all have "desire" and it drives them to keep doing better.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:30 AM
Skilled

Hey ivance. I highly recommends watching trollskyy on youtube.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Guru

Ray has given you some excellent advice. Fill out your profile (including your full name). This will give us a better idea of where you are starting.

If possible, visit a local knifemaker or better yet, attend some hammer-ins. (Just be respectful and remember that they have work to be done.) This will give you a good idea of what is needed to make knives and cut a considerable amount of time off of your learning curve. Don't feel that you need to purchase every tool that the knifemaker has in his shop as they were probably added over the years to his basic set up.

Good luck & all my best.

Gary

Old 09-12-2014, 02:58 PM

Thank you guys, i appreciate your help.

Tags
apply, art, back, blade, blades, files, hammer, handle, handle material, kit, knife, knife making, knife supply, knifekits, knifekits.com, knives, made, making, material, power hammer, profile, supplies, supply, teach, tools