MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 02-07-2017, 02:47 PM
Enthusiast

Knife of the Quarter & Meeting on Saturday

Welcome to 2017! I hope everyone is doing well and had a wonderful holiday season. I am looking forward to this year for the guild. The next meeting is approaching fast and scheduled for February 11th, with a social Friday night February 10th.

There has been many discussions around the Knife of the Quarter award. During the meeting at Dennis Bradley?s last fall, the discussion became fairly heated. When I came up with this concept in the beginning of my term as Vice President, the goal was to simply push each and every one to grow their skills and talents while having a chance at a trophy. I am saddened that it has become such a heated topic and people have felt that it is unfair. There will never be a way to completely satisfy everyone. However, after many discussions as the Board, I believe that we have a solution that will help most of the group.

Going forward, we will have two ?classes? for Knife of the Quarter? with slightly different rules. The two classes will be as follows: ?New Maker of the Quarter? and ?Knife of the Quarter?. Those who wish to enter a knife must be in current standing order with the guild as a voting member.

Rules:

?New Maker of the Quarter?: Knife is to be completed solely by the maker including any embellishments (i.e. engraving, scrimshaw, filework). The materials used in the construction of the knife is up to the maker, but items such as Damascus or mosaic pins are not required to made by maker. Kit knives or blades are not permitted. The knife is to be complete and finished including the working edge. The knife MUST be completed since the previous quarterly meeting. New Maker is defined as a maker that has only been in the craft for less than FIVE years. This timeframe is based on the rules provided in the awards at BLADE Show.

?Knife of the Quarter?: Knife is to be completed solely by the maker. Embellishments from other artist ARE allowed. Kit knives or blades are not permitted. The knife is to be complete and finished including the working edge. The knife MUST be completed since the previous quarterly meeting.

Individuals are allowed to enter a knife into either category as long as the rules are met. Makers are allowed to enter a knife in both categories, but, you must qualify in each and enter a separate knife for each category in order to allow for easy voting and tallies.

We need volunteers!!!! Volunteers are needed to help with demos and event locations. It has become harder and harder to find folks that are willing to host a meeting and also help with demos. We all grow as makers from our peers. We each have tips and tricks that some other makers might not be aware of. Fortunately, there has been a group of individuals that constantly helps and provides demos to the guild. It is not fair to constantly rely on the same members to provide demos over and over. We each have the responsibility to help the guild with demos. Everyone learns, at least something, from each and every demo. It is only fair that everyone helps out. Please get with David Smith and schedule a demo that you are willing to perform and if you have a facility that is capable of hosting a quarterly meeting.

I am looking forward to what this year has in store for us. I would like to see the Guild continue to grow and we have the opportunity as a team to make this happen. Hope everyone can make it to the next meeting and I look forward to speaking with you.

Allen Surls, President
Old 02-12-2017, 06:27 AM

Great Meeting! Thanks Andy, Allen and the Circus. I believe list count was at 88 (and there are usually 5-6 that don't sign in) so big crowd. Quite a difference from the first few chartering meetings we had with 14 die-hard knifemakers. I've been truly blessed to be a part from the get-go.

Met a lot of new faces and we have a lot younger visitors and members jurying in for full membership....just WOW!

Had a lot of folks ask for info on Trackrock and other events as well as other stuff. If I don't get back to you, kick my cage with a pm or email........my AARP card says I can forget things so I do.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
2017, bee, beginning, blade, blades, craft, damascus, easy, edge, engraving, filework, forge, kit, knife, knives, made, makers, materials, mosaic, ore, pins, scrimshaw, show, store, tips