MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 02-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Enthusiast

Stabilized burl

Just wondering if there are some opinions on where to get some really good stabilized burl wood.

Thanks, Carl
Old 02-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Guru

Most Knifemaker Suppliers have the stabilized Burl.

It is more of what the cost is and how good the quality is. I cannot speak for all suppliers Carl, but Texas KnifeMakers Supply back their products and are not exorbitant. They have a decent selection as does USA KnifeMakers.

Ray knows a company where you can send your own wood, it's called K&G I believe. I have to ask him about them myself as I have some birdseye maple I want stabilized.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:25 AM
Skilled

if there is a decent knife show that comes near you then you might also be able to find supplies there too.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys, is the stabilization process pretty much the same from supplier to supplier? I know the process just wondering if someone does it better than most, the last pieces I ordered had all kinds of voids once I got to about 600 grit, but they were also filled with resin, not sure if that makes a difference.

Carl
Old 02-04-2017, 02:20 PM
Steel Addict

good morning Carl.

you will find a wide variety of suppliers for "stabilized" material. with the introduction of materials like Cactus Juice the home stabilization have sky rocked. there are guys that are doing pretty good and offer a good product for the money. however, the places like K&G are in stabilization professionally and they are set up for it. I think I saw a thread here with a picture of K&G's pressure tank and it has 4" thick walls and goes way above the pressure that can be done at home. consequently they have NO voids in their woods they process and if you have them add a colorant, the color usually goes pretty evenly through the woods. there a a few guys that sell here that have wood done through K&G and resell it here on the forum. you can also take a look at these two places that specialize in wood for knife makers.

http://burlsource.us/

http://www.dreamburls.com/

I have no dog in the race, its just food for thought. you might also think about sending your own wood out for stabilization too.

Erik
Old 02-04-2017, 02:30 PM
Guru

Carl, the burl will usually have some voids in it, but good quality maple burl like I bought from TKS all voids were filled with resin, but there were hardly any voids at all. It will begin with the piece of wood you start with and some will just have voids. Where did you get your last pieces from and what kind of wood burl? I only ever bought from TKS and cannot speak to others.

I usually just use exotic hardwoods that do not need to be stabilized like cocobolo, ironwood, african blackwood and a, favorite tulipwood. Some rosewoods like purple heart, padauk or cocobolo are oily and need to be wiped off with some solvent before gluing and use pins or small corby or loveless screws. I go to a Woodcraft Store over in Knoxville to buy my wood as I like to pick it out myself. Even some exotics need stabilizing like some types of ebony are very brittle.

Here is K&G's website
http://www.kandgstabilizing.com/gallery.html

Last edited by jimmontg; 02-04-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:22 AM
Steel Addict

K&G knifemakers Supply is one of the major stabilizer operations in the nation. They sell stabilized and or dyed wood to the public.
WSSI is another major one. Reports are they are hard to get a hold of but they also sell .
Hoffman knives sells some wood on the side. They have different than most.
Burl Sourceis an excellent source. They post different varieties as they get it back from K&G and clean it up.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:32 AM
Enthusiast

You guys have been great help, so glad I decided to join rather than just lurk. I should have been more specific about the wood I wanted, stabilized and dyed, just love the finish of the wood when taken to 1500 and nicely buffed. Thanks for the replies I now have all kinds of leads.

Carl
Old 02-05-2017, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

That was the first time on K&G website and just like a kid in a candy store, their were to many goodies to resist, I may even have to work this week just to pay for all the candy I just purchased.

Thanks again, Carl
Old 03-03-2017, 08:40 PM
Steel Addict

Check out John Bryant (Muskoturner) in Canada. He does great wood at very reasonable prices, (the best I've seen).
Here's his Facebook page that you also order from. Fast shipping too. He has some awesome wood!

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=muskokaturner

Charlie
Old 03-03-2017, 09:09 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Charlie, awesome looking stuff, will be ordering some.

Carl

Tags
art, at home, back, burl, home, ironwood, knife, knife show, knifemaker, knives, makers, maple, material, materials, pins, products, resin, sell, show, stabilization, supplies, supply, usa, wood, woods