MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:10 PM
Guru

saftey....handle material on skin (re visit)

Hey guys. so i wanted to know remember one of my recent threads. some of us were talking about the saftey hazards of certain woods getting on your skin cause problems maybe almost like a allergic reaction....i am curious if any one has had a similar reaction to anything like g10, micarta, inlace acrylester...i have only used wood materials a hand full of times. yesterday i was grinding bot g10 and inlace acrylester and one of my arms ended up getting really ichy but it was only one arm and it didnt happen until a couple hours after i was done so maybe it was something else....i havent heard of getting it on your skin being bad until that last thread and even then it was only woods that were mentioned.....i really dont want to have to wear long sleeves all the time in summer in my garage it gets HOT....but if it happens again or any of you guys have had a similar reaction i guess its something i will have to do.......

On another not thanks to jimmontg for the tip on the dymond wood at sheffields my find at usa knifemaker they want 15$ a pair at sheffields i think its about 3 but i just got 50 pairs for about 100 bucks awesome deal i have made one blade with dymond wood and one with dymalux (very similar) and alot of people like it so i figured its cheep they dont make it any more get what i can....if any of you guys want it i would say now is the time when i first called they said they didnt have enough for the 50 pair package of 1/4 thick then they called back and said they did so i dont think they have that much left either (i could be wrong maybe different sizes) its definitely a awesome material i really like it you get the striped colors like g10 but has that natural wood texture
Old 07-29-2016, 03:47 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

G-10 is fiberglass and it can definitely cause a reaction. Same is true for carbon fiber and I wouldn't be surprised to find that the polyester dust from the acrylics would also do the same. Reaction or not, be as careful as you can not to breathe any of those dusts ......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-29-2016, 03:56 PM
Guru

always wear respirator no matter what i am grinding just worried about getting it on the skin
Old 07-29-2016, 05:23 PM
Skilled

I don't want to fool with the CF, or G10 for that reason. most of the woods I work with I have not had much of an issue with. I have noticed when I'm doing a lot of desert iron wood and got a heavy layer on my hands/arms it caused a itchy reaction for the next couple days. not ill just put on the old BDU jacket while working on that stuff. there are a lot of other exotic woods known to have similar or even worse reactions. you can look up exotic/hard wood toxicity and find lists of which ones have what hazard, and how sever.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:33 PM
Guru

yeh i dont know if it was deffinitly the g10 or what ever most of the handles i have done are g10 tthen next in line would be micarta the inlace acrylester then a couple of wood handles never had that problem before and i am usually covered in the stuff and it was deffinitly on both arms but only one arm had a reaction....so we will see what happens next time if it happens again then yeh long sleeves as far a respirator i ALWAYS wear it even if the material isnt "toxic" breathing any kind of particles is deffintly not good for your lungs
Old 07-29-2016, 08:05 PM
Guru

I had a difficult time understanding your post Dtech

Did you mean on another "note" thanks to jimmontg? In which case you're welcome. LOL I thought I did something wrong when I first read it. But it's hard to follow what you're saying when you don't use punctuation. I presume you meant that USA Knifemakers charges $15 per set of dymondwood handles, which it does and that is waaay too much for it. Sheffield's has the stuff in slabs up to 15" x12" and one pair for $2.60 for 5 x 1 1/2 x 1/4" and blocks are 5"x 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 for $5.10 and go up to 72". I don't know how much they have left, but some I know they are out of. What colors did you pick if a may ask?
Did you see the prices on some of their knife steels? The hot rolled O1 @ 3/16 x 1 1/2 x 18" for $12 is pretty good.

The G10 is probably what caused your itching. The acrylic wouldn't have done that, but I don't ever grind acrylester in the house, the dust is very fine and goes everywhere and since it is very light it stays in the air longer. My grinder is on a heavy cart and I go outside to grind except for very small stuff or burnishing leather with old worn out 15 micron belts. The silicates in Desert Ironwood is harmful to your lungs, just another reason to wear dust respirators.

Oh, a tip on gluing dymondwood, when roughing the glue side up I always do the sanding by hand because I don't want to accidentally cause a dip or take too much off the edge which is real easy with a power grinder. Just something I learned from experience.lol
Old 07-29-2016, 09:42 PM
Skilled

I'd agree it's probably the fine particulate fiberglass in the G10 dust, and probably not the bonding agents. But it could possibly be the bonding agents. Anyone could have a sensitivity to alot of things that others have no problems with.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 07-30-2016, 12:20 PM
Guru

jimmontg.....yes that is what i ment you didnt do anything wrong....i hadnt used dymond wood only dymalux when i saw it come back on usa knifemaker i was suprized and figured it wasnt the best deal but hadnt seen the stuff anywhere else so figured they were going to take advantage of that. your tip on sheffields was MUCH better i ended up getting 50 pairs of 1/4 in thick for about 100 bucks i just asked them to throw what ever colors they had and i think there was only 1 duplicate color. i dont think they have that much left cause when i called and asked for the 50 pair package the guy said he didnt have it but then another guy called back and said he went and looked and he did have enough. so i would assume they have more how much i dont know. thanks for the tip on gluing also as far as the steel i didnt take to much of a look i have been getting my steel from njsteel barron they are kinda close to me so the shipping only takes a day maybe 2 and since i got the oven and have had a source for liquid nitrogen (allthough i dont have a dewar i just have them pump it into a cooler but it evaporates in 2-3 days wich is why i profile and HT a batch of knives at once) but since then i have only been using 440c (some 1084 still not as much tho) and it took a lil while to get the HT almost perfected and i have been told even if its 440c but a different batch or another supplier the HT can be different i dont want to do all the testing again till i move to another steel. as far as the reaction i dont know i guess like goater said anyone can have a reaction to things so we will see what happens .

Oh and sorry i know i am not good with writing and punctuation and all that english was not my strong subject in school (wich i never made it all the way through anyway) my brain just doesnt think to stop and put periods i have to reallly focus and make it a point to do that its not natural for me ill try and see if i can do a lil better tho

Tags
awesome, back, blade, carbon, carbon fiber, g10, grinding, hand, handle, handle material, hot, iron, ironwood, knife, knifemaker, knives, made, material, materials, micarta, package, post, usa, wood, woods