MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > Knives For Sale - Custom

Knives For Sale - Custom Custom Knives for Sale (All Styles). These knives are offered by the individual sellers.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:21 PM

Priceing help. What would you pay for this EDC?

Hi,

I'm building a few more since I liked it so much (also it has some minor cosmetic blems, so I kept it for myself lol). What would you guys buy/sell something like this for? I need help pricing it. I'm new to the forum market.

The time and materials into it should warrant the $300 ball park, but I don't know if people will pay that on here.

1/8th 1095
6 inches overall
Hand finished blade
full tang, weight relieved
Hidden pin construction
Contoured handle
Curly Maple, Brass, and Curain
Choice of color
Simple Kydex belt/pocket clip sheath

Thanks,
Nick
Crossfire Forging

Old 05-09-2016, 09:34 AM
Hall of Famer

I suggest you work on the proportions before offering for sale. The handle to blade ratio doesn't look right to me.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:09 PM

I'm happy with the proportions. It's very comfortable and functional and I think it's a pleasing design. It's sized to fit in a pocket and be a small everyday knife.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Well then, that's all that matters.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:32 PM
Steel Addict

There are a lot of things that affect the market. I go to several shows and the price varies as to the people attending and the type of show. You also have to take into consideration weather you have built any reputation . I can't sell a folder for as much as someone like Don or Tod Davision, or Bruce Bump can. I simply don't have the experience and reputation they do. You said you are a newer maker so that does effect the price.

I can only say that in the markets I would sell in and with the competition out there, you'd be pretty high for price. I recommend before you try selling you go to some shows and take a look at your competition. That will tell you a lot. As you gain experience you will become quicker at producing a knife and the profite will get better.

Ultimately, if you can get someone to pay a price and they are happy and you are happy then that's a good starting place.

Erikl
Old 11-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Steel Addict

I agree with Erick, my knives sell for much less than those sold by a mentor of mine. Also realize that should you make allowances for price should you sell it via a purveyor. Dan
Old 11-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Guru

I don't have a name and some knives I've sold for $150 a maker with a reputation could sell for double what I can. I make decent sheaths too and that helps raise the price.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:36 PM
Guru

I might add that I make small knives I sell for about $60 to $100, I call them my smalls. I don't go overboard on finish or too much tooling or carving on the sheaths. In Florida my filet knives fetch about $150 and one I traded for a guided fishing trip as the skipper had never had a custom knife that went through 80 fish without being sharpened every 5 to 8 fish. That trip was worth $300 for my son and I @ $150 each, there were 4 others on the boat as well. I caught I do not know how many fish, but many were out of season so we had to throw back the groupers.

Try opening an account on Etsy and you can open an account on Amazon as well as Ebay. But don't expect to get high prices I'm sorry to say. I target guys who would like a custom knife but don't have $300 to put on one hence my smalls. I have sold a viking axe with matching knife for $300 and a kitchen set for $400 are my high ones. Doesn't happen very often.

Last edited by jimmontg; 11-12-2016 at 06:43 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-16-2016, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Pricing is likely the most difficult aspect of being a custom knifemaker.... so many aspects beyond that actual product. Reading this thread there were a couple of things that alarmed me....

First is selling on Ebay. Unless it's someone besides the maker selling it, like on the secondary market, then it's pretty much the "kiss of death" to ever be taken seriously by the main stream custom knife buyers. It's looked upon with disdain, the general idea being that a maker only sells on ebay because he can't sell his work anywhere else.

You said something that worries me....
Quote:
I don't go overboard on finish
WRONG ANSWER! ANY and EVERY knife that you produce must be the absolute best quality/fit/finish you can possibly do! That is, if you want to be taken seriously by custom knife buyers. I also noticed there are no "marks" on your knives..... that's another big reason knives don't sell. Marking your knives lends credibility to both the knife, and your name within the custom knife world. Knives that are not marked are often looked upon at the knifemaker not being proud enough of his work to mark it.

Just to give you an example....I once ran into a young custom knifemaker at a local gun show. His table was FULL of really poorly finished knives, that he was asking $40-$65 for, and when I asked him how his show was going, he hung his head and said.... "I haven't sold anything." We chatted for a while, and I saw something in him that just needed a bit of guidance. Before walking away, I gave him my card, and told him that if I could be of help, let me know.
To his credit, he called and I invited him to the shop. He brought along his knives, and asked "How can I make them better?". Long story short, I showed him that with an extra 20-30 mins of work, he could change a $65 knife, into a $125 knife. I also instilled in him the idea of ALWAYS offering ONLY your very best work. Today that individual is what I call a "Rockstar" in the tactical knife world.

We all start on the ground floor when it comes to creating custom knives. Its up to each individual to determine how far they will go with it. Drive, determination, and the time it takes to build a good reputation are key elements. If you're not striving to improve EVERY aspect of your work with each knife, then MAYBE one of those ingredients is missing, and it might be time to have a a "meeting" with the man in the mirror. All that being said, it must also be realized that custom knifemaking isn't easy from a market standpoint. Nobody "needs" a custom knife. Its a luxury item. So if your not offering something that makes your knives more desirable then others at your level.......

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Guru

Ed when I said I don't go overboard on finish I didn't mean fit

I mean I take the knife to 400 grit and then polish on leather with 500 grit diamond compound which takes about 10 minutes to shine the blade up, but not to a mirror polish, more a shiny satin finish. I do put my name on my knives, but not always where it will be seen like the back of the guard or spine and if I make a kit knife I do not put my name on it at all, anywhere. My fit is always good, I pride myself on it, it's what you get being an aerospace sheetmetal mechanic and ultra precision welder. I have had to finish parts by hand to plus 0.0 and minus 0.002. I fit up my knives just as well. I'm getting much better at sheaths too, but I'm not spending 4-6 hours on a sheath for a $60 kit knife. It will be plain with a border and have a lot of solid brass rivets. I never used brass plated steel rivets or snaps.

As for Ebay I know next to nothing about selling on there as I've had other makers and a mod tell me they do sell on there. Just making suggestions. I don't sell online at all as my Facebook page gets me most of my business and word of mouth though I was thinking of setting up on Etsy. Yes I do tell my customer if it's a kit knife. I've even offered to give some to some customers to make themselves, but they prefer I put them together. I hand forged that Viking axe btw. When I was done with the knife and axe I figured I made about $7 an hour.
I live on a fixed income and $80 makes a difference to me. The kitchen knives were beautifully finished and taught me to never use acrylics and full tangs as it was extremely hard to get the fit between the tang and plastic even. I used 1/8" loveless screws on those knives and my own mosaic pins. The full tangs and plastic cost me a lot of time, (used to hard woods) but was what the customer wanted, but next time it will be hidden tangs for acryluster or any plastics like kirinite.

Tags
ball, belt, blade, brass, building, buy, design, edc, folder, for sale, handle, help., knife, knives, kydex, maple, materials, mentor, need help, pocket, pocket clip, sale, sell, small, tang