MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:39 PM

Insurance

I have been building knives for 3 years, all of my knives are owned by my family and 2 friends. I haven't charged for any of them yet, but I would like to start charging. I would like to sell a few knives to help fund new equipment, and materials for more knives. I haven't sold a knife yet because I don't want someone suing me. I know that you can be sued for anything now days. I only do this as a hobby, and so far have made 10 knives in the last year. So making a dozen knives , insurance is kinda hard to justify. So if I can make and sell 12 knives a year, at a cost of $100.00 or less what would you do if you were me??? Thank you guys.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
If your talking about liability insurance, based on my experiences, there are basically two scenarios...

1. Most insurance companies will simply flat refuse to insure you the moment you mention "knives".

2. If you can find a company that is willing to insure you, it will be astronomically expensive.

Most folks who make and sell knives don't have liability insurance, for one or both of the reasons above. Is there risk? Sure. But only YOU can determine whether the risk is an acceptable one.

I've even had difficulty with property/homeowner's insurance.... the company that insures my home (State Farm) simply refuses to insure either of my two knife shops. The ONLY way I was able to find insurance for my forging shop was to become a member of ABANA, and acquire shop insurance through their group provider.

Just a note.... I have also seen instances where insurance companies have literally cancelled home owner's policies when they found out a person was making (not selling...but MAKING) knives in a home shop. My suggestions would be when speaking with an insurance agent, ask a lot of "What if" questions.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 02-19-2016 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:11 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
There are a lot of businesses that State Farm will not write. State Farm was designed as a Farm and Auto Insurer. Yes they have ventured into some commercial insurance but very limited. The exposure is just to great so they prefer to stick with what made 'em.....what they know.
Ronnie
Old 03-29-2016, 10:31 AM
Guru

Just what would you be liable for?

I mean if someone cuts themselves chopping vegetables I wouldn't be liable for that. The law is pretty well established that I wouldn't be liable if somebody stabs someone with my knife. A faulty product would be the only thing I can think of. I made a knife for a guy who said he wanted to use it to hunt and kill wild pigs with. I suppose he could sue me if the blade* broke, but that's about the only scenario I can think of getting sued for. Does anybody know of any other situations where a knife maker is held liable enough to get sued for?

* Doubtful the blade would break as it's made from 6 mm thick O1 and it's differentially treated so bend maybe, but not break. Besides he hasn't used it yet for that, he uses a 44 mag. rifle.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Quote:
I mean if someone cuts themselves chopping vegetables I wouldn't be liable for that.
Don't assume that! I had an individual try to sue me once... I sharpened his knife, later that day he and some friends were drinking, and he cut himself with the knife to the point of 15 stitches in his hand. The only thing that saved my bacon was the fact that the receipt I gave him stated "KNIVES ARE EXTREMELY SHARP....NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ACCIDENTS".

Quote:
The law is pretty well established that I wouldn't be liable if somebody stabs someone with my knife.
That's not a safe assumption either! Nearly everyday you can find a new story about someone being shot with a gun..... and people seek to sue the gun maker. Never underestimate the greed and audacity of humans.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 04-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Guru

I know people try to sue for certain things, but they don't win. They haven't won against a gun manufacturer yet. A lawyer usually needs to think he can get something. I don't have anything. My vehicle is in my son's name to keep the hospitals and doctors from taking it and they cannot garnish my account as my only income is SS and I live in section 8 housing for seniors/disabled folks. I only sharpen knives for friends and family and after hearing somebody tried to sue you for sharpening a knife I won't do it as a sideline.

Last edited by jimmontg; 04-01-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Steel Addict

Just because they don't win doesn't mean you don't lose. The moment you're sued, you've lost, whether or not they're awarded any money. Time off to go to court, lawyer's fees, stress. . . .

Old 04-24-2016, 02:52 PM

We I started out as a firearms instructor, I gave a gun-friendly attorney $90 and wrote me a very comprehensive liability waiver.

Such documents are already out there for download. It's better than nothing.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Tags
abs, art, auto, bee, blade, building, flat, forging, gun, hand, hobby, knife, knives, made, make, making, materials, sell, sharpening