MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast

Ray, the DVD came in a few days ago. Just got a chance to watch it last night. Excellent!

Thanks,
Dan
Old 07-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Skilled

GREAT VIDEO!!!

when might you release one on squirrel training? the ones here only seem to steal the apples off the tree before they ripen.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I've been training those squirrels generation after generation for 13 years. It takes real patience and a calmness that most people can't manage but, more than anything, it takes the right brand of squirrels. Unfortunately, the arboreal squirrels you probably have are not good candidates for group training.

The squirrels in the video are Columbian Ground Squirrels. They're not very smart but they do have long memories and remember me from year to year through 6 months of winter spent underground. They live in burrows scattered over several acres around my cabin and are totally self sufficient except for their addiction to peanuts. They can pop out of the bush hundreds of yards from my house and walk right up to me looking for that peanut. That can be disconcerting to a visitor.

They make pretty good neighbors and a fair alarm system too since they almost always know when a predator is near before I do. They'll be underground for the winter by August 15th so there's a fairly narrow window for visitors to come out here and see them. But, there are plenty of pictures of them on my website...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Skilled

I had a grandfather in TX with a "pet" red squirrel that would come take pecans out of his hand. sometimes when he wansnt trying to feed him one. that thing was the size of a small dog.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast

My 4 and 8 yo kids watched the video with me....the squirrels were their favorite part! I got a laugh too.

Great video and I learned much. I have started a couple of builds and ordered materials (kaowool etc..). For fun, I am building one each with forced air and venturi "knife size" and one larger forge for other work that will be 2-3 burner. I know, I am being a bit redundant, but thats me. I hope that soon I can post a vid of them working and some feedback posthoc.

The video is a wonderful resource, thanks so much for your time in making it available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
I've been training those squirrels generation after generation for 13 years. It takes real patience and a calmness that most people can't manage but, more than anything, it takes the right brand of squirrels. Unfortunately, the arboreal squirrels you probably have are not good candidates for group training.

The squirrels in the video are Columbian Ground Squirrels. They're not very smart but they do have long memories and remember me from year to year through 6 months of winter spent underground. They live in burrows scattered over several acres around my cabin and are totally self sufficient except for their addiction to peanuts. They can pop out of the bush hundreds of yards from my house and walk right up to me looking for that peanut. That can be disconcerting to a visitor.

They make pretty good neighbors and a fair alarm system too since they almost always know when a predator is near before I do. They'll be underground for the winter by August 15th so there's a fairly narrow window for visitors to come out here and see them. But, there are plenty of pictures of them on my website...
Old 07-19-2014, 10:58 AM

Wade,

Glad you found the information useful and that your kids had fun with it too. There are a lot more animal pictures on my website, people from all around the world have written to me saying how much their kids enjoyed the bear and squirrel pictures so I'm betting yours would too.

Looking forward to seeing what you build ...

Old 08-13-2014, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast

If I can do it anyone can.....

Thanks again Ray, first forge is done. Fired it once and just need to adjust my burner some. I think its going to work well.

Small propane tank, firebricks on bottom, lined with Kaowool, bubble alumina over bricks.

Simple venturi burner using DVD recipe....except I had to use some "black magic" with a mig tip. Not because I really wanted to, but I could not find a small enough drill bit today so I just mounted the .035 mig tip instead.

A few pics. I hope to get a couple going full blast at night for your amusement.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:19 PM

Looking good Wade! Let's hope it works as good as it looks.....

Old 08-15-2014, 04:52 PM
Skilled

my first mini venture burner.... works great for small pieces.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/oiseau...695035/player/

and a larger forced air version using stove pipe.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/oiseau...stream/player/

construction went quite well despite the lack of squirrel supervision.
will have pics of the finished knives up soon I hope.

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 08-15-2014 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Repair his photo links
Old 08-15-2014, 05:43 PM

I don't know how you managed it without supervision from our Squirrel Overlords but those seem to be cookin' ....

Old 11-10-2014, 09:18 AM

Thought I would kick this back to the top so some of the newer guys would know it is available ...

Old 11-15-2014, 06:22 PM

did you say new guy that's me. i'm looking to build a vertical forge. tired of seeing my interior desolve before my eyes.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:01 PM

What are you using for your interior? While you're at it, what are you using for the body and burner?

Old 11-16-2014, 07:07 PM

Cool body and burner

sorry took so long time at computer is limited 4 kids and a busy house. im in the design stage just ordered your dvd to try and do this right. i have a good horizontal but flux eating at my liner is no joke. i'm tooling around with the idea of using my old dust collector for a body motor burned out years ago 14 inch is the inside and comes in two sections. both 20 inches tall i can cut it if needed. looks like two oil drums clamped together. little worried about the thickness though.as for the burners i've been using self made t rex type. 1 inch burner tubes. they work fine in the horizontal forge but i'm thinking going with forced air. maybe dual burners. interior is gonna be 2 inch 2400 kwool 1 inch 2700 kwool and itc100 coating. learning how to use the #### thing bis gonna be the challenge. what do you think
Old 11-16-2014, 07:14 PM

i should have mentioned a satinite ( don't know if i spelled that right ) coating before the itc100 about 1/8 thick.

Tags
anvil, art, awesome, bee, blower, build, building, chris, christmas, design, forge, hand, heat, hot, how to, knives, made, making, materials, newbie, simple, store, tiny, video, weld