MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 08-24-2017, 03:53 PM
Steel Addict

The two photos with teeth are the same knife.

I liken this14 grind to a model 1 with teeth. I believe that the spearpoint grind of the 18 was used on the 14 for continuity more than any other reason. The 18 and 14 with teeth have the same blade forging, so it would make sense.

I think the 14's that maintain that 14 grind but with teeth are/were just a thing someone did in the shop maybe just to see how it would work. I dunno.

I have a picture, actually two of another I will post. Perhaps you can put them together jack into one photo.

I have no doubt the brown micarta 15 had the teeth added after the knife left the shop. No way it would have got out like that. Same guy did the teeth for 40+ years IIRC. You can still see the original grind as not been changed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cuervo-214bt.JPG (55.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Cuervo14bb.JPG (49.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by crutchtip; 08-24-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:32 PM
Skilled

This is best I can do putting the two pictures together. I see what you mean about the attempt to keep some continuity with the conventional m14 shape...even though this knife does have that "swoop."

Thinking about it... the first ST knives were made from Solingen 14s... and I think the spear point is a more or less natural outcome of modifying the top line of those blades. I posted an overlay picture of Solingen ST over Solingen conventional grind earlier in this line that shows what is removed. I think it might be hard to alter the top line of a Solingen, removing the hump, so that an even bevel was created without ending up with a type of spear point.

But that wasn't true of the Orlando blades.. again an overlay is in this line earlier. So I think you are right... the shop just continued the spear point to be consistent and probably for ease of routine. I kinda like the spear point... it is a nice look. Thanks for posting this knife. This is probably an early toothy, interesting to see the teeth structure.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:45 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutchtip View Post
Perhaps you can put them together jack into one photo.
(I joined the two and tried to clean up the result in Photoshop.) Will this be helpful?

click HERE

-Steve
Old 08-24-2017, 07:15 PM
Steel Addict

I think I have a couple of photos of later Solingen blades that were ground to look like a later Orlando blade. The very early Orlando blades looked like Solingens or vice versa I should say.

I personally like the 14 grind with teeth.

Here is a couple of photos of the one that started it all, the Ingraham 18:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRW_0829_RJ.JPG (39.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg CRW_0830_RJ.JPG (42.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg CRW_0826_RJ.JPG (32.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-24-2017, 07:19 PM
Steel Addict

Here is a 14 "tenite" Orlando blade with a factory installed Walnut handle. Only one I have ever seen. Note hump in blade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26182-P1010519.JPG (83.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 26182-P1010522.JPG (58.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by crutchtip; 08-24-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Skilled

Great job Steve... much better than my power point effort... dang it looks real...

The pictures of the very early m18s made from Solingen humpers are pretty instructive. Even if you keep a modified hump, when you remove material from the top line, you sorta end up with a spear pointy thingy. I notice that the "swoop" of the top line mod starts almost at the ricasso... I think this is because these were the first-order Solingens stamped on the ricasso.. thus there was no blade stamp to try to protect.

It seems some of the later Solingens had the logo in place before the alteration. However, some Solingen ST seemed to have the Solingen stamp etched on after the modification. This could be a time marker of sorts... worth exploring later.

Joe, I saw pictures of that wooden handle knife some time ago and really like it. It spawned the wishful ivory handled Solingen fantasy.

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-24-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:32 PM
Steel Addict

It has been a long time since I have seen the wood handled 14, but looking at the photos I am thinking it could have been ebony. Pretty dark.

Note that the 18 you blew up is the first one, Ingraham's knife. I wasn't sure if everyone realized that. One of the most significant RMK's in my opinion.

Note that you mistakenly identified the maker of the 18 as Gary Clinton in a previous post.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:18 PM

Great information. Thank you.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknola View Post
Steve's pictures of his knife (above post) have disappeared. I think this is the knife he posted.

Steve, great knife, low S, brown Micarta with filled hole, and with history. Do you still have the sheath? Thinking back 50 years, we passed a catalog around the barracks, wrote a letter to Randall, sent money. We couldnt just dial a phone back then,long distance cost money. How did you become aware of RMK in the Navy? How did you decide on a Model 14, and order it, and where was it delivered? Really enjoyed seeing your 14.
Stunning knife.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:48 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks, Dan. Here are the answers I gave to those questions:

---Do you still have the sheath?

Sheath was stored (knife in it) along with uniforms & medals in basement of former home in New England. Flooding rotted uniforms and sheaths. Eventually, Greg Gutcher made me a duplicate of a riveted sheath, and years ago I bought a period riveted sheath from Perry Miller ("KnifeKid") at Spaceport Cutlery.

---Thinking back 50 years, we passed a catalog around the barracks, wrote a letter to Randall, sent money. We couldn't just dial a phone back then, long distance costs money.

That's pretty much what I experienced, except did it through a Randall dealer (story below).

---How did you become aware of RMK in the Navy?

Became aware even before enlisting, when a friend wore the most beautiful hunting knife I had ever seen. I later understood that it was a Model 11, and it easily outshone the "ordinary' Buck knives and Case knives I had seen.

---How did you decide on a Model 14?

If you remember the Randall catalog in the 60's, Bo described the Model 14 as, "This knife was designed to meet the demand for an almost indestructible all-purpose knife, though it is especially suited for combat and survival purposes." (50 years later, the catalog uses the identical description.)

---and [how did you] order it?

Ordered it by mail, from Randall dealer Dick van Sickle's catalog.

---where was it delivered?

As best I can remember, it was delivered to me between deployments to Vietnam, while we were in home port San Diego.

The interesting thing about my purchasing of the Model 14 is that I really disliked the idea that handles were removable with screws (the tenite version), so waited until they were available epoxied (micarta). Had I bought the tenite version instead, it probably would have a much greater monetary value, even though a low-S brown filled handle knife is actually rarer!

-Steve
Old 03-17-2018, 02:58 PM

I absolutely envy that 14 filled hole, low S, brown. What a great collectible. Great story!!!
Old 04-21-2018, 06:34 PM

Just curious, How many of those Soligen blades were "Humpback". Does anyone know the statistics about the humper blades?
Old 04-22-2018, 08:39 AM
Steel Addict

All of them as supplied to RMK
Old 04-22-2018, 08:41 PM

Here's a Soligen blade with no hump. So I'm wondering still what the breakdown was? Or did RMK grind the hump soligen 18 no hump.jpgoff of some of the blades?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:09 PM
Skilled

Joe is correct, all of them were delivered from Germany with their familiar "Humpback" grind. That Model 18 has been ground accordingly for what it is.

Who's knife, by the way?

TB

Tags
angle, bee, blade, blades, collecting, collector, custom, guard, holster, holsters, home, knife, knives, leather, made, make, materials, post, randall, rivets, sheath, sheaths, simple, stone, vintage