MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:53 AM

Best grinder?

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and knife making. I'm wanting to buy a Wilmont LB1000. Has anyone used one of these? Would it be a good buy or would I be better off saving up and buying a more professional model? I was also considering a Beaumont KMG. Also I'm going to blade show 2017 would I be better off to wait and buy a grinder there?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:31 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I don't know anyone who has a Wilmont grinder but it looks like it would be a good grinder. Hard to say if it would be any less expensive than buying one that was ready to go.

You can't go wrong with a KMG if you can afford it. They offer stripped down models that you can add on to as your budget allows. You might save some money at the Blade show. If you wait until the last day to buy the seller might knock some off the price just to avoid having to lug it back to the store ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-02-2017, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the response. How much of a difference is there between a 1.4 hp motor vs 2hp? Would I be better off spending a little more and going with the 2hp
Old 05-02-2017, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I've had a couple of experiences with the Wilmont machines. The first one gave me a sour taste....one of my Canadian friends had purchased two of the units you mentioned, and after getting them all installed/setup, they simply would not track. My friend asked if I could visit and help him with them.... there were a number of things that were wrong, and after taking a day's worth of work to correct the issues, we had the machines tracking correctly. For the money he spent, those machine should have been "right" to start with.

The second instance was while using one of the machines in a different person's shop, the idler wheel bearing went out. I would not have been concerned, but the grinder was two days out of the box. Now that could have just been "one of those things", but after my first encounter, I have to question it. I've not looked at Wilmont machines since, so I don't know if things have been improved or not.

On the other hand, I've had a KMG in my shop for 15+ years now, and found it to be rock solid, well built, and although I have heard a few complaints of Beaumount's customer service of late, I consider it the best grinder for the money on the market today.

Be wary of a lot of the newer grinders being offered..... most are made from very light weight/gauge materials, and then seem to concentrate on "bling" versus being hardy, long lasting, and trouble free machines. I've been asked to "inspect" and "evaluate" several of the newer grinders on the market, and found most of them to be wanting....mainly because of the use of those light materials, and lots of cheesy gimmicks that are suppose to make them a "cool" machine. Bling doesn't get the job done!

On your questions about motor HP..... ALWAYS go with a motor larger then what you think you need. Your grinding skills will quickly improve to the point where a lesser HP motor will hold you back, but you can always "grow" into a larger HP motor. Personally, all the grinders in my finish shop have 3HP motors and KBAC 29D VFDs...... I can "hog" on them as much as I want, and they never break a sweat, or I can dial the speed down for super delicate operations. My advice to anyone is to cry once, spend the money for a top end machine with a VFD setup, and a motor larger then you think you need. If you ever decide you want to sell it, you likely get the same money you paid for it, or at the worst slightly less. But if you go with a "barebones" grinder setup, you'll quickly become disappointed with it, and you'll never get near your money back if you ever want to sell it.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 05-02-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:34 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

There ya go, that sounds like a definitive answer to me.

I'm not sure where you'd find a motor labeled 1.4 hp but I'd be seriously doubtful about the veracity of it's hp claim ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-02-2017, 12:46 PM
Guru

I agree I also have a KMG and love it! It has all sorts of small wheels big wheels that you can attach. I would also agree to be a lil weary of the "knock off's" of the kmg. it might LOOK similar but performance wise I doubt any of them are. As Ed said kmgs are rock solid. these other ones hitting the market to me look like a anorexic version of the kmg....wich means things wont be as stong. Not saying that you cant grind a knife with it I am sure you can. BUt knocks never end up being as good as the original.....also get the biggest motor you can afford
Old 05-02-2017, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast

I am the new owner of a KMG 3 months I love it and they are very good to deal with!
Lee

Old 05-02-2017, 01:50 PM

I really appreciate the comments. Ed, thanks for all the info I've been doing research all day and decided to go with a KMG. I'll definitely come check out your table at blade show. A little disappointed I didn't see Beaumont on the exhibitor list.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:55 AM

I think Rob Frink (Beaumont) has decided to not do the Blade anymore. He wasn't at last year's either. It's a shame as I always enjoyed talking with him. Known him for a while, he came to my second Trackrock Hammer-in. Makes one heck of a solid machine.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
2017, advice, art, back, bearing, bee, blade, blade show, buy, grinder, grinding, hand, kmg, knife, knife building, knife making, made, make, making, materials, motor, ore, show, store