MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:12 PM

Narrow tang India stag handle problem

A problem has shown itself with the handle of my narrow [full] tang knife. The handle is India stag with its irregularly circular circumference rendered slightly flat sided - that is, side flats are greater top-to-bottom than top and bottom sides are side-to-side. There are no sharp angles; configuration is a soft, slightly oval shaped handle. I assumed the irregular striations of the stag would assure a non-slip grip. . . . Wrong-o.

When my hands are greasy or slick, I lose my grip. Occasionally, I pull my hand from the knife handle.

I must have the handle altered for a significantly more non-slippery grip. I believe I have three options.
1. Have someone create subtle finger groove or grooves. I don't know whether stag can be altered without severely weakening it, or have it crumble or chip.

2. Have the handle replaced with Micarta? or other material and have the knife maker incorporate the first class gripping surface he prefers. I suspect this is a high cost solution.

3. Sell the knife and start again. I prefer this solution least. But it does absolutely take care of the issue.
As the knife exists, I will not use it again. Please advise me, including knife maker who can do the job nicely.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:34 PM
Skilled

That's always an issue when making a knife, how the blade is intended to be used and matching the design and handle materials to the use. Without a pic it's hard to give any input. When I'm building a handle for a rough use knife it is fit to the hand to give proper indexing and sit right. That is the first step, if the handle shape is awkward (and stag is sometimes that way) finding a proper grip can be difficult without adding some shape.

It may be a good idea to go ahead and replace that handle with a more appropriate material. Again, without a pic it's hard to offer input.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:49 PM
Skilled

I don't know of any materials that still "grip" when hands are greasy.

pics would help.

might consider something similar to a sub hilt design to keep it from slipping out your hand while greasy.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:29 PM

Many thanks for these replies. My 13-year-old Macintosh does not function with any of the online image storing sites. The knife configuration is doggone close to what a flat grind Randall Model 5 5-inch, having a "chunky" Dozier Sisu guard would look like. While some people might consider the cut-out forward of the guard to be able to function as an anchor point for my hand, I am not among them.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:40 AM

I'm pretty confident that you are correct - that is, the solution is to replace handles. But just in case I might be missing a bet, I've created two subtle finger grooves with wood dowel and two grits of sand paper strips. If the grip problem remains solved this way, that's both good and next to no cash out. If sanding these grooves causes the stag to fail, I'm no worse off than I would have been were I to have sent the knife out for handle replacement initially.

Tags
arrow, blade, building, design, flat, flat grind, grip, guard, handle, image, knife, knife handle, making, material, materials, problem, randall, sell, sharp, show, stag, stag handle, surface, tang