MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum

The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild. Raising the general awareness of custom knives and the people who make them.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:28 AM
Registered

Visiting from Australia : NC Supply Shops and Knife makers

Hi All,
I'll be in North Carolina (Asheville) next week and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of a good knife supply shop and if there are any workshops I can pop into and purchase some knives etc. I have a car and will be on the road so if there is a must see then I'm happy to travel.
Looking forward to seeing your amazing state and learning some more things.
Thanks
Ben
Old 08-16-2016, 10:31 AM
Skilled

there are not really any "knife supply shops". most of us have to order supplies and materials. there is Smokey Mountain Knife Works not too far over here in TN. it has some making supplies. also later this month there will be a knife show in just down the road from SMKW...
http://www.bulldogknives.org/id1.html

I plan on driving down to do some shopping/trading, and maybe dig up a bit of work.
there are several of us on here that are not too far from you. either in NC, or over here in Tennessee.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:31 PM
Registered

Thanks Damon, I will surely make it down to the knife show on the Sunday and thanks for your post.
Hopefully I run into you at the show.
Thanks again.
Ben
Old 08-16-2016, 06:21 PM
Guru

What are you looking for Ben?`

I live near Asheville, about 20 miles away and I maybe can help you out with a few things. Smokey Mtn. Knifeworks has some blade blanks for sale, but not a whole lot more. They do have literally thousands of knives from $5 to the sky's the limit. Asheville Hardware has some exotic wood and maple, walnut etc. I believe they had some Osage Orange last time I was there, but this stuff isn't on their website. Do you need some leather or other such stuff?

There is a place down near Hayesville called Premium knives and they sell blanks and will do short runs of any knife you wish to design, plus Heat Treat of any material you wish. I live in an apt. but I make a few knives. I have a grinder and drill press on a cart to roll outside. I HT in a forge some knives when the college down the hill has blacksmith classes otherwise I send my blades out to Premium, never a problem yet and cheapest shipping around. Problem is, is since they supply other suppliers they have a short list of knifemaking supplies so as to not undercut their customers. Let me know as I may have a few things for sale and won't stiff you too bad.lol I have some unheat treated O1 blades and two old Nicholson files for sale too. One file is partially profiled and the other is just plain and both are annealed, but no grind lines.

As for must see, there is a lot of that up here in the Blue Ridge Mtns. Asheville is also home to a lot of Microbreweries too. I'm free most of next week, so send me a private message here. Damon is probably one the best engravers in this country by the way. His knives are works of art, to say the least.

Sent you a private message with my info Ben, hope to see you next week.

Last edited by jimmontg; 08-16-2016 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Addition

Tags
blade, files, for sale, forge, forging, heat treat, knife, knife show, knife supply, knifemaking, knives, make, makers, making, materials, mountain, post, press, shop, show, supplies, supply