MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:48 AM
Guru

can aluminum contaminate a buff?

hey guys so I was making a aluminum guard. in the process of finishing the front when I took it from grinder to buffer I wiped off the guard just to get the dust and stuff off. usually I would use a buff with either "knifemakers green" or "green chrome" BUT yes I know this was my fault I was being very lazy... the buff that just happened to be on the buffer at the time had white diamond compound that I had only used twice so the buff was still new and white (ya know once you use it a few times it gets loaded up and turns black it hadn't been used enough for that yet) however once I touched the aluminum to the buff the buff instantly turned black could this be the aluminum contaminating the wheel somehow? I don't work with aluminum all that much (except Corby's) I remember I made a similar post once before where the same thing happened but in that case it wasn't aluminum it was black handle material and I hadn't wiped off the handle between the grinder and the buffer so I figured it was just the handle dust but since then I always wipe it off usually with a damp towel (as I did witth this aluminum guard) so I guess what I am asking is can this aluminum contaminate the buff to the point where I shouldn't use it if I am polishing a blade?
Old 08-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Brass would have done the same thing only worse. For brass, I would have to say it was definitely contaminated but with aluminum it is 'only' probably contaminated. In other words, if you had White Diamond on the buff then the buff was probably used for plastics and stabilized wood. In that case, dark/black plastics/wood will still probably be OK. White or light colored materials could easily be discolored by the aluminum though. Also, aluminum oxide is one type of abrasive on our belts which means that the moderate polishing you should be doing with White Diamond may now become a slight cutting effect.

You mentioned something about polishing blades. White Diamond has no application on metal. Also, one buff = one compound, never change compounds on a buff.

Get a wheel rake and clean the buff.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-16-2016, 04:03 PM
Guru

ok yeh your right I wouldn't use the diamond for a polished blade anyway knife maker grren the green chrome and maybe the pink lightly after logo etch is all I need. I didn't think of that it was just a example to mean "is this contaminated now" I think I may invest in a few more buffs that way I can not only keep one for every compound like I already do but maybe just have a few for stuff like aluminum and brass now that I know they both do that...thanks tho ill try and clean it with the rake and see what happens maybe the best test would be to buff a scrap piece of white g10 and see how bad it comes out

Tags
abrasive, bee, belts, blade, blades, brass, buffer, case, diamond, grinder, guard, handle, handle material, knife, made, making, material, materials, metal, post, white, wood