MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:13 PM

Junkyard vert/horizontal grinder build

First post here. I planned to make a KMG clone, then this happened. It's ugly, but it moves some metal! Still need to make a flat platten and rest attachment. I ran it for the first time tonight, so I felt the need to share my excitement and see if anybody had suggestions. So far, I've bought only the VFD and motor. Everything else has been sourced for free. I look forward to hearing what you might have to say about this hideous but functional creation. I am working on drawings to make a more attractive version with water-jetted/machined components.

Can't get pictures formatted correctly on my iPad. I'll upload some from work computer in the morning.

Please suggest a color befitting this creature

Chris
Old 11-19-2015, 01:12 AM

These links should be the photos. Too large to show in forum I believe.
https://goo.gl/photos/G9LkkLe9AUb9cuZQ6

https://goo.gl/photos/XAwrxPTzqJg84wRcA
Old 11-19-2015, 04:53 AM
Enthusiast

I like it, It has a style of its own. not the cookie cutter run of the mill, grinder. Ed
Old 11-19-2015, 09:14 AM

I think these photos will work. I have also tried to include my initial/rough planning for a nicer looking grinder with the same functionality in mind. Let me know if you have suggestions as I am still working on overall design. Depending on jetting/machining cost, I may make several of these to sell to re-coupe some of the expense.

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1118152150-1 (2) (1024x658).jpg (388.9 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg grndr.JPG (27.8 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by RBNchattanooga; 12-07-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:42 AM

Pics of finished project

Here it is after paint. Still ugly, but it tracks very well and does everything that I need it to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HZKMG 1.jpg (142.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg HZKMG 2.jpg (181.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg HZKMG 3.jpg (199.9 KB, 93 views)
Old 01-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Master

awesome man !! whats not to like , great job !!

we have an office in Chattanooga , never been there , maybe one day !!

Old 01-14-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCROB View Post
awesome man !! whats not to like , great job !!

we have an office in Chattanooga , never been there , maybe one day !!
BCROB- Thank you for the encouraging words. What type of business are you in? If you're ever in Chattanooga, feel free to contact me and I'd be happy to show you around. There is a lot of natural beauty around the Chattanooga area. Of course, I don't know how it compares to that of BC!
Old 02-21-2016, 11:55 AM
Guru

What kind of metal build experience do you have, because that looks pretty professional. We had some big belt sanders at work that didn't look as good or I might add as strong. The only advice I could add would be that the table it is sitting on looks kind of too weak for that size machine, but that's just what I see from the pictures. If that is a bolt together table make sure it doesn't vibrate loose. Great job for your first try. Looks like you took some drafting classes and got an A in engineering.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
What kind of metal build experience do you have, because that looks pretty professional. We had some big belt sanders at work that didn't look as good or I might add as strong. The only advice I could add would be that the table it is sitting on looks kind of too weak for that size machine, but that's just what I see from the pictures. If that is a bolt together table make sure it doesn't vibrate loose. Great job for your first try. Looks like you took some drafting classes and got an A in engineering.
Jim,

Thank you for the compliments. My metal working experience has been trial and error, but I recently also learned how to use a lathe (thanks to MIT videos on youtube). We had to fire our machinist at work, so now I'm able to fill in when we need replacement parts for molds/machines.

The grinder frame is definitely over-built, but it does not vibrate at all. If I were paying for materials, I would probably have opted for a bit thinner material. As for the mounting platform; it is a bolt together rack from HomeDepot reinforced with 1/2" cherry plywood. This is a temporary mount, but the grinder is held in place by 4- M20 fasteners through 1 full inch of wood. I'm more afraid of it catching on fire than weakening haha.

No drafting classes or engineering under my belt. I really just enjoy making stuff. I haven't made much head-way with the water-jetted machine, but I'm still planning to make a few after things settle down at work... of course, turkey, trout, and morel seasons are here. Too much fun to be had all around. I've only ground out 4 knives on the new grinder, but I use it almost daily for other projects.

-Chris
Old 07-14-2016, 06:41 PM

Nice rig!
Old 07-15-2016, 01:22 PM

That's the coolest home-brew grinder I've seen in a while!
You could sell those!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-19-2016, 09:03 AM

Thanks guys. Andy- Just checked out your Facebook page. You're making some beautiful knives. I am planning on making a few of these grinders to sell. I'm still working on the 3D files in my spare time, but it's going to be a little better laid out than the one in this post. I made this one basically all from drops/scrap at work as a "proof of concept" since this was my first grinder build. The next one will have a 56C motor and probably a KBAC VFD. If you have any suggestions, as knifemakers, for what you'd like to see in a grinder platform, I'd love to hear your suggestions.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:13 PM

Thanks for checking out my work.

As for the things I like to see in a grinder...

Rapid tool change out or a low enough price point to buy two or three of them.

Near perfect tracking is always important.

Pre-mounted pyro-ceramic glass.

Dedicated on/tool lighting maybe.

I look forward to your efforts!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Tags
advice, awesome, bee, build, chris, design, first post, first time, flat, grinder, ipad, knives, make, man, materials, metal, mill, motor, paint, post, project, sell, show, vfd, what kind