MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:45 AM
Enthusiast

Kydex Sheaths using templates

This is how Ive been doing my Sheaths for a little while works great after a few false starts to get eh right cutters etc you cna still dink the Template with the TC bit

I plan to make some generic Templates to use on non std sheaths, you can use these (the one shown was used with others to cut the Parang sheaths) but they are limited by the length of run you can do at one time so you have to keep stopping to move the template on so a rule with a longer run of holes in an line will be part of it.

Eg
It took 10 mins to drill the holes for the parang and 15mins to cut it with the small templates that can only drill or cut 2 spaces before needing moving.
That time could be reduced to 2-3min and 5min ish if a full specific template was used or only a little more with longer generic templates not so important to 1 off but would have saved a whole load of time on the 11off batch

so reducing 4.58 hrs to 1.3hrs
(old way marking and cutting freehhand and finishing would be well over 1h maybe 1.5hrs each so 11 to 16hrs ish)

Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Skilled

That's great! I've had fleeting thoughts for concepts like that, but I've not put anything on paper that could transfer to steel like you have done. I don't make knives on a regular basis yet, so I'd like to make a partial template for use with different width knives. Simple, effective...Nice work man

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein

Tags
abs, bee, boltaron, concealex, drill, holster, holstex, knives, kydex, make, man, plastic, sheath, sheaths, simple, steel