MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-12-2002, 06:48 PM
STLPiper

Tips for handle carving

More specifically, I am interested in making my own sgian dubh and I want to carve the handle myself. However, I know virtually nothing about woodworking or knifemaking. This doesn't need to be a work of art; I just want it to be of my own creation. Also, if I get to be semi-decent at this, I would like to be able to make sgians for fellow pipers.

So, any tips on files, carving or general knifemaking would be appreciated.

Thanks....
Old 05-13-2002, 04:47 AM
Don Cowles

Maybe Mike McRae could jump in here, but if you have no woodworking experience, don't expect a satisfactory result on your first few tries.

Start by drawing out the design you want to carve on paper, then copy it onto a chunk of pine or fir about the same size as the planned knife handle. Buy a set of chip carving knives (and perhaps a book on carving) and git to cuttin'. Do a few of these before tackling harder woods and knife handles. There is no substitute for practice/experience.

Good luck, and show us a pic of what you do!
Old 05-13-2002, 06:37 AM
DracAmy

Hello,

When you say carving a handle are you talking about the making of the handle or carving a design into the handle?

If your just talking about making the handle-

www.brisa.fi

carries some instructions on making saamiknives or puukkos, guardless small handknives a lot like sgian dubhs. They have a lot of examples of completed one for referance.

If your talking about carving designs into done handles-

CUSTOM KNIFEMAKING
by Tim McCreight

has general knifemaking info you were asking about and one of the projects is carving a basket weave pattern into a knife handle, not to different from celtc knotwork.

Hope this helps out.

Drac
Old 05-13-2002, 04:02 PM
STLPiper

Yes, I am talking about carving a design into the handle, not just the handle itself. Along the lines of celtic knot or something similar.

Thanks...
Old 05-13-2002, 05:40 PM
george tichbourne

The trickiest part of a Celtic knot design is the layout of the pattern. I am getting ready to make a dirk and skean dubh myself and plan on using narrow masking tape for the layout. Once the intersecting corners are located I will drill the spot with a fine drill, remove the tape and use a dremmel with a carbide bit to add a little relief to the surface. I will be working with African Blackwood so carving is out of the question.

I will use brass pins at the intersection points for highlights.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:46 PM
Roger Gregory

I'd like to see both handles when they're done, George and STL Piper

Might save me a lot of trouble when I try some!

Roger

Tags
knife, knives