MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena New to Knife Making? Here's all the help you need ...

Old 06-21-2017, 05:58 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolQs View Post
Thanks Goater for That James McClendon video link. Man-O-Man, do I have some crazy ideas now !!!

I know that you will have no issues with that blade. It will be a prize worth owning.
You're welcome but thanks to James for the excellent video. I've watched a number of his videos now. Interesting and informative & proof there's never a "best" way or some magical tool, but rather the skill of the craftsman that produces the end product.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 06-21-2017, 07:52 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Well, that's disappointing. What compounds did you use? Were your buffs ever used for anything other than those compounds?

The only time I ever got a result similar to yours was on a block that had too much natural oil in it when it was stabilized but I never thought of walnut as oily ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-21-2017, 09:53 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Well, that's disappointing. What compounds did you use? Were your buffs ever used for anything other than those compounds?

The only time I ever got a result similar to yours was on a block that had too much natural oil in it when it was stabilized but I never thought of walnut as oily ....
Confiscated a fresh new buff from my shop and took it home. Tried some green rouge but the results were so ugly I never tried anything else. Looked muddy and the pores of the wood held the compound. Ended up having to clean off with, don't remember, maybe alcohol or something.
With raw wood I get a better finish pre buffing just going through finer grits then a fine Scotch Brite wheel, or 0000 steel wool, that's even before any oil.

Here is where I got the wood and on this particular page, look down about halfway about finishing his wood. Two methods involve oil and the third involves CA glue. (??) I thought that was the point of stabilizing. (?)

http://burlsource.us/stabilized-wood-info/

He even cautions about buffing and notes that "Coarser grained wood with larger pores tends to get clogged with buffing compound."

Don't know, maybe just the walnut or that particular piece. K&G stabilizes for $14 a pound IIRC. That's post treatment weights. Maybe I'll send some and give it a try or even try a lighter wood with tighter grain like maple.

Anyway, I looked at my little KITH this morning and the wood looks nice with the one coat of BLO. I'll get some pictures up.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 06-21-2017, 11:38 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I not an expert on the hundreds of different compounds that exist but I'm not familiar with any green compound that works with wood. As far as I know they're all for metal.

I do know that White Diamond and No Scratch Pink - both available from K&G - are intended for wood and work wonderfully on stabilized wood. Use a sewn buff with the White Diamond and a loose buff with the Pink and I would expect your results will improve dramatically. After all, one of the main reasons to use stabilized wood is so that you don't have to use any type of oil, varnish, or other finishing products on it...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
2017, blade, blades, build, choose, easy, finish, flat, flat grind, grind, heat, heat treat, hollow grind, kit, knife, knives, kydex, leather, scale, sheath, show, simple, small, steel, trade