MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 10-14-2012, 11:24 PM

Mark Made Knives

Does anyone have any information on a custom knife maker that made knifes called Mark Made Knives. I think his first name was Mark and he lived in the south, possibly Louisiana. My father picked this knife up at a Slidell, LA gunshow in the early 80's. It is a quite well made Bowie style made from a file. The handle is a yellow ivory like material with brass studs. It has MARK MADE KNIVES inscribed on one side of the blade. It is in a handmade leather sheaf apparently made by the knifemaker.
Any info on the maker of this knife would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 10-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Steel Addict

I don't know much about knives or history. However, Blade magazine keeps a large archive of knife makers, if he registered w/ them they might know something. Also you might ask them in general if they know anything. Maybe some one on here will give you better input.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:59 PM

Thanks. I may inquire with them. I only remember that the he was arounf 25-30 in the 80's and I think lived in or close to the New Orleans area.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Registered

This is my dad. MARK E. JACKSON. We lived in Brookhhaven, Ms. I am not sure how to post pics on here but I have a picture of the knife. It is actually a Coffin Handle Bowie with a brass guard and bolster with 12 brass pins Handle material is ivory Macarta and the blade was made with a sawmill blade. I used to attend all the guns shows with him as a young girl and know them like the back of my hand. You can contact him via email at mjackson01@yahoo.com for more information. He has many pictures of that knife. I would actually be interested in buying this one back from you.
Kari Jackson-Wilson
Old 12-01-2012, 07:56 PM

MarkMade Knife

2a.jpg

3.jpg

Here a a couple of pics of the knife. I sent an email to the address you gave along with a few more pics. I am not really interested in selling the knife since it was my fathers. Thanks so much for the info.
Sincerely,
Rick Grayson SpaceCowby43
Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 PM

Other knives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksjwilson View Post
This is my dad. MARK E. JACKSON. We lived in Brookhhaven, Ms. I am not sure how to post pics on here but I have a picture of the knife. It is actually a Coffin Handle Bowie with a brass guard and bolster with 12 brass pins Handle material is ivory Macarta and the blade was made with a sawmill blade. I used to attend all the guns shows with him as a young girl and know them like the back of my hand. You can contact him via email at mjackson01@yahoo.com for more information. He has many pictures of that knife. I would actually be interested in buying this one back from you.
Kari Jackson-Wilson
You described it well. Did your father make other knives?

I was very surprised when my father bought this knife. It was a very unusual purchse for him. He was not a knife person by any means. We owned a couple of Buck hunting knives but he had never even expressed any interest at all in owning a custom knife, though, I am sure you know, the gunshows were filled with knifemakers. Some with real skill and talent and many with just the ambition. My father said he was impressed by both the knife and the man who made it. They, apparently, talked for some time. He and I went to countless gun shows together and set up tables at most but this knife and a small ANSI skinning knife are the only knives that he ever purchased.

Thank you again and please give my best to your father.
Rick Grayson

Tags
blade, bowie, brass, custom, custom knife, file, guard, handle, handmade, how to, hunting, ivory, knife, knifemaker, knives, leather, made, material, pins, post