MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Skilled

Anyone have a good idea on a new drillpress?

I was just in Alaska at my son's and there is a place there that has all sorts of machinery. I want that here in TN but do not know where to go yet. But, my son has a very nice Delta but small and on the table with all the tools like a light and such. Small might just do me fine now when you drill a few holes and that is it. Anyone know the best small press?
Old 01-13-2012, 07:02 PM

I just bought a skil at lowest for 119.00 it 5 speeds and 1/2 inch chuck works great for me, good value for the money
Ps. Pretty sure this is in the wrong section

Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-13-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Guru

Dave,

You've asked a very vague question from us. If you are only going to use it occasionally and with small bits then there are a number of imported drill presses that will work just fine. If you need more than a hobbiest drill than I can only tell you that usually you get just what you pay for when it comes to tools. If you don't mind paying freight then I would look into Grizzly Tools online. They only sell imports but will give you a choise of qualities and stand behind their products quite well.

Gary

Old 01-15-2012, 03:59 AM
Steel Addict

Dave

I also live in Tennessee, but I looked at your profile and not sure what part of the TN area.
When asking questions about where to buy things locally, it helps if your profile was a little more complete, at least the closest largest city near you.

For Example: in the Knoxville area we have both a Harbor Freight and a Northern Supply Co, several Home Depots and Lowes Stores.

Again, as Gary pointed out one of the most important things, is its intended use, other points is how much room you have for both ease of use and safety and how much money you have too spend.

For me I need a Floor Stand Press, I am 6'8" and its easier for me to work without a lot of bending and straining.

I will be glad to help, if you could give us a little more info to help us out.

Jeff
Old 01-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Steel Addict

When Im looking for a drill press the most importune thing to me is the speeds.
Often the cheaper models are more for wood working with speeds ranging from 700 rpm to 3060 rpm.
If you intend to use the drill press on steel, especially tool steel, you will burn-up allot of drills working with these speeds.

My drill press is a Grizzly, I am not going to try and convince anyone it is a great press but the price was good (used) . It has 16 speeds, 95% of the time I use two speeds 200rpm and 500rpm.

These slower speeds work perfectly for tool steels and good enough for wood, carbon and g10.
I could use the higher speeds for the non ferrous materials but changing the belts is tedious and unnecessary since I am not looking to maximize production.

Brett
Old 01-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Skilled

Okay, tried this once but will again, Yeah I am in TN on the West side. I have a fully equipped knife shop but was totally fascinated by visiting the Industrial Hardware in Anchorage where my son is. I just thought a new drill press made as much sense as anything. I like the light and maybe the laser too but do not have such things. I decided my son who has a smaller Delta could do the holes I do, like a 41 bit, 1/8 or F and really not much more, but what else could I or would I do with a new press. So the question. Thanks to all.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Guru

Dave,

With the size of the bits that you described, power won't be an issue. What you will get from the better grade of drill presses in addition to power is accuracy & durability. If all you need is to make holes for handle pins then any will work fine. If you are making folders where precision is essential then something more would be in order.

Hope that this answers your questions.

Gary

Old 01-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Skilled

I try to do them all but my first teachers were Bob Ogg and Jimmy Lile so it was just a drill press to start with. The Delta bench top is looking pretty good to me right now.

Tags
art, folder, folding, handle, hydraulic press, knife, knives, pins, press, supply