MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Steel Addict

Sounds like a great project, Don. I'm a newbie hobbyist with no orders to fill,so I've got the time. It will also be a good exersise for myself to try to stick to a specific pattern and not change it as I go along like I usually do. Count me in. Thanx, Pat McGroder
Old 04-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Steel Addict

Hi Don,

Ok count me in. I'll make another one even though I've got projects stacking up here.

I'm working on putting a belt grinder into production for the u.k and european market.

My intention is to try and further the custom knife market in the U.K. You would'nt believe how difficult it is to find suitable grinders in the U.K. The cost of shipping U.S made equipment makes imports VERY expensive even with the favourable exchange rate at the moment.

Andy..
Old 04-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

It does sound like a fun project. I will be watching it play out with keen interest..........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks, Pat and Andy. You're in.

This will be exciting for me to see so many fine linerlock barlows.

Andy, please try not to outdo me on embellishment again.

Just kidding, Andy. Do your thing, please.

Wowzee!! Wonder how many others we'll get to join in???

Better watch and help, Ray.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Skilled

Count me in too, I need the challenge. Sounds like this is shaping up to be a good one.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Skilled

what tools would be required to make this knife from your plans? there are those of us beginners who are machine poor. i don't mind challenges , i did make a toastcutter with very minimal equipment.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHNorfleet
Count me in too, I need the challenge. Sounds like this is shaping up to be a good one.
Welcome. What do your friends call you?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakudo
what tools would be required to make this knife from your plans? there are those of us beginners who are machine poor. i don't mind challenges , i did make a toastcutter with very minimal equipment.
This is a project for knifemakers with at least one folder under their belt, Shakudo.

Minimum tools would be a small drill press, the proper drills, reamers, thread taps, files, belt grinder or a sanding disk besides what a goldsmith/silversmith has on hand.

You probably have more than enough skills, but might need "My Way" to get the locking mechanism right on your first folder. It's available from my Knifemaker's Supply web site.

Join us, but beware! Knifemaking is addictive, and surely will cut into your goldsmithing time. It pays poorly, too, in relation to the time it takes.

We'll all help you if needed.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Skilled

Since me and my father have the same name most folks call me Junior but my name is Gilbert Henry Norfleet, Jr. You may call me Gilbert, G. H., Gil, Junior just whatever you like. I am looking forward to building a great Barlow for this forum. I have learned just about everything I know about the building of great knives from the fine folks on this forum and I hope not to disappoint them by providing a great looking knife as well as making some more new friends along the way.

Sincerely, Gilbert H. Norfleet, Jr.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:29 AM
Registered

Great idea, Don!

I would have loved to join in, but realistically speaking, I never finish my projects that fast!

Best of luck to all of you! I'm really looking forward to seeing all those barlows!

/ Magnus
Old 04-02-2005, 07:57 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHNorfleet
Since me and my father have the same name most folks call me Junior but my name is Gilbert Henry Norfleet, Jr. You may call me Gilbert, G. H., Gil, Junior just whatever you like. I am looking forward to building a great Barlow for this forum. I have learned just about everything I know about the building of great knives from the fine folks on this forum and I hope not to disappoint them by providing a great looking knife as well as making some more new friends along the way.

Sincerely, Gilbert H. Norfleet, Jr.
My son has a new 15 year old stepson named Stephen. Now, to me, Stephen sounds too formal, so I asked him what he liked to be called. He answered, "Anything". I shortened that to Any, so that's what I call him now.

To call you "Whatever you like" is too long a name, so I'll call you Gil. Let's be friends and learn from one another. Good to have you on board.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:17 AM
Hall of Famer

We've counted down to 3, so 2 more days to sign in, guys.

I count 10 makers who have signed up here to make a barlow by July 4th.

Let's add some more. Maybe we'll start up a new barlow factory and sell them for $695.00 each list price.

You dealers and collectors had better get in line early.

Come on, Magnus, 3 full months is enough time to build a folder. Join us!

I've been planning mine. I'll order some MOP scales Monday for it. I tried to order some supplies from Halpern and Koval yesterday, but it was already past closing time in their time zone.

I'm having a good time with this.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Skilled

Gil is fine with me Don. Great to be on board and I look forward to building a great barlow.

Old 04-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

What the hey, I'll give it a go. Two questions tho:

1. Does your design plan have a materials list included or do we need to make up our own?? :confused:

2. Just how much will we be allowed to 'play' with the design/embelishment?? :evil

(What if our 'barlow' ends up looking suspiciously like a karambit?? LOL)

Wulf
Old 04-02-2005, 10:00 PM
Master

Hey Don.
I've decided to go with one of my own Don, but will be following, particpating and letting people know what and how I do it, but without pictures of course. Frank

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives, switchblade