MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 PM

installing folder scale half pins???

I have been searching and cannot seem to find any information on installing the half pins in the scales of a folding knife.( i'm not sure if half pins is the proper name for them)
I am reffering to the pins that hold the scales on but only go through the liner where the blade closes. If these pins went all the way through the blade would not close. Any info on how to install and secure these to the liner would be appreciated.
Thanks
Frank
Old 04-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Hall of Famer

After you drill the matching pin holes thru the liner and scale, Use a 60 or 90 degree countersink bit to countersink the holes on the inside edges of the liners.

Now make your pins and peen the end of the pins over in the inside of the liners. Drive the pins thru from the inside of the liners and thru the scales.

Now lightly peen the opposite ends over on the outside of the scales, or use superglue or epoxy to hold them in place.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:22 PM

Thanks Don
My problem is that I am replacing the broken stag scales on an vintage schrade 2 blade auto for a old friend. I can't get to the inside of the liners unless I take the whole thing apart. I am thinking that if I could go all the way through with the pins and put a tiny spot of solder on the outside where the pin comes through the liner on both sides and carefully try to cut the pins off inside with the dremel if I can get in with it. I would hate to slip and knick the springs or something inside so I was kind of looking for options that might work better.
Thanks
Frank
Old 05-17-2013, 03:23 AM
Skilled

That's the way I did one for a friend. It was a brass liner and bolster, I used a brass rod and drilled out the existing holes and soldered them in place. Used a piece of flat bar that would slip in the opening and lightly peened the pins on the scales.

Tags
auto, bee, blade, brass, drill, epoxy, flat, folder, folding, folding knife, how to, knife, make, pins, rod, scales, solder, stag, tiny, vintage