MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 05-20-2005, 06:58 AM
Steel Addict

A bonehead day..

It was a beautiful day , and after work I got down to my new project at hand , prepping, tweaking, maintaining and armouring the Land Rover Defender, for a future Land Rover and off road meet. Those events are great and it's like going through and experiencing a scaled down version of the Camel Trophy event. (ie hardcore and scary!) While working on the Rover, my side kick folder the "funny folder" by Ted Dowell, was used when I rigged straps for the bonnet mounted spare tire and wheel. I keep the folder in an excellent crock snap down custom sheath by Robert Schrap. After the rigging I started on the roof rack, then finished the day starting on dismantling the fuel tank guard to replace it with an armoured one. Calling it a day, I went back in the house and decided to open some parts boxes. Reached for my funny folder when.........horrors!, the sheath flap was open and empty.. I know some of you know that horrible feeling you get when you think you have lost a knife. I could not believe that I set it down anywhere, as I always automatically sheath my knives when done cutting. So I assumed that the folder fell out of the sheath? more dread..and as I headed out to the driveway in the dark, I imagined the scars, scratches or chips the knife might have suffered from the fall. With flashlight in hand, in a reconstructive approach, I search for the folder on the Rover, under it, above it, and to it and back. No success. Called in the troops. The wife (expert at finding anything) , the kids (reluctant recruits), and my neighbor ( a police sgt.) who was across the street and offered to help. In the dark of night we all looked like a search party with flashlights in hand searching the grounds. Some might have thought we were looking for the instrument of a crime. After an hour, no luck. The search party huddled and decided that it might be best to look for it again in the morning. My neighbor asked me to write down a description so that he could take a look himself next morning. So I reached for my pen in my Patagonia sweater and?pulled out the folder! It was in my pocket the whole time.. with a sheepish grin and guilty voice I declared ?errr..Oh shoot, it was in my pocket the whole time !? Now you would think that the search party would have been relieved and congratulatory with my knife being found. Instead I was pelted with groans of disbelief and malcontent as they waived their hands at me in a ? get out of here ? manner and all went home. Standing alone in the driveway and feeling stupid, I tried to remember the action of putting the knife in my pocket to no avail. I pondered the dangers of autonomic habits and actions, and how easy it is to lose a folder, I felt like a bonehead, but a happy one.

Last edited by thewap; 05-20-2005 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:56 PM

I always like a story with a happy ending!

Old 05-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Skilled

Cool story with a very happy ending! You've got more real stories than I have a brain to imagine. Could I follow you around someday and just maybe some of the cool will rub off on me. One thing for sure. You ain't goin to die of boredom.

Seussbrother
Old 05-20-2005, 08:51 PM
Steel Addict

Well Seuss, I'm afraid if you follow me around, that some of the bonehead will rub off on you. That, I would not do to a friend. The mishap reminded me how easy it is to lose a folder. And I have lost 'em! My first custom loss- a Terzuola TTF1, D2 blade (old model) w/Ti scales. Lost that one on a location scout. My second - a Pat Crawford 5" liner locker. Left it in my Rover, stolen. My third- a Ralph Bone 01 4" blade folder with Rosewood scales (arghh!) misplaced it at home upstate, never found it again. My fourth- a Reeves Senbenza full size. Lost it in France. And there are others, in the distant past.

Now you know why I prefer fixed blades! 8o

Old 05-20-2005, 09:22 PM

Hey Wap,

Remind me never to loan you a knife!

Old 05-20-2005, 09:25 PM
Steel Addict

Bo Blade, I'm good with fixed blades! never lost one. Especially vintage ones. Really! please reconsider!

Old 05-20-2005, 10:56 PM

I would, but I just swapped out all my old vintage fixed blades for folders. Timing is everything. Darn!
Old 05-20-2005, 11:38 PM
Skilled

Ron,
...Darnit, a couple of them fixed blades you had were nice enough that I would have traded several slightly used SAKS for them.
Jeff
Old 05-21-2005, 12:52 PM

Jeff,

Sure wish I had known that before I traded for the "POS" folders. Never heard of a POS folder before (The stamp was very clear), so I figured they were pretty rare. Now I'm starting to think they aren't :confused:

Ron
Old 05-22-2005, 01:04 AM
Skilled

Ron,
...Those POS folders seem to show up on the QVC and on the tables at gun shows. The most coveted ones are made in Pakistan.
Jeff
Old 05-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast

Yo Wap...

Load up yer pockets with a couple of Chris Reeve Sebbies and come take a walk around my land... The we will have some dinner with our lovely wives and part ways... In the morning I will retrace our steps and ...

I have a similar luckless predisposition towards misplacing items... Lost a Dozier, lost a Vic, tried to lose myself once... hopefully next week I shall succeed at leaving this malady behind as I head into the far reaches of nowhere Colorado on a self inflicted survival trek...

Old 05-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the invite Colorado! but I would probably lose the Reeves way before I even got to your place!

How long are you going for? what's the set up your taking? , Love to self inflict with such trips as well. Although right now I'm working on the Rover for a torture survival trek I will inflict on her (I always call the Rover..her. "If you treat her well, she will treat you well".)

Marc

Last edited by thewap; 05-22-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:08 PM

Quote:
...as I head into the far reaches of nowhere Colorado on a self inflicted survival trek...
Where you headin' Scott, downtown Denver?

Moosehead

Old 05-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast

Survival Challenge Outdoorsman Style

Moose,

I want to actually survive this so I won't be going anywhere near Denver....

Marc,

Once a year I like to take my PSK and take my truck into the area I will hunt that year... I leave the truck and hike in about 5 miles and spend the next few days acting as if I had gotten lost while hunting... I set a scenario and stick within the guidelines... One year I even splinted my leg... man that was no fun, but I learned some valuable things about myself that trip...

This year I will keep the Scenario KISS... just gonna play as if I got bad lost... ok not lost... how about... Powerfully confused...

This is my kit and since its not really hunting season, and I don't wanna take a chance of busting up my bow I am stipulating that I lost bow and arrows after a trip down a rock field...

Only thing not pictured is...

Model 19 that I will use for the first time...
Tabor Hatchet also first use
Ruger MKII... allot of use...

In the black pouch is my fire kit...

Vaseline cotton balls,
Fire striker
matches
Bic lighter

From my maps I have figured that I will be about 30 miles from the nearest phone and house...

And I am seriously thinking of packing an MSR MicroZoid ultra light 1 person tent... Under 3 pounds and lets face it folks... I ain't getting no younger...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSK.JPG (39.9 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Co_Outdoorsman; 05-23-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Steel Addict

Scott,

Pack your tent. It will probally snow.

Kent

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives