MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 10-04-2003, 12:24 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to justice
took some kit pics

i just got a camera the other day so the pics are not the best. the pics are of my first 2 kits. i fuged the ddr1 up so i decided to experiment keep in mind i have only one dremel grinding bit ,one polising bit,2 files, and a cordless drill to work with so it shows. 1 of the ddr1's bolsters have been drillied and filled with half life x. i also used a blue plastic scouring pad (the thin kind) and cut some spacer's out of it then sloped some blue half lifex and epoxy on it clamped it up and the results where nice when glowing the spacers have a spoted kind of look under light it looks almost like turquoise i did not do this on the bolster holes so thay just have that opaque color to them. check em out

let me know what you guys think......justin

Last edited by justice; 10-08-2003 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:02 AM

I'd sure like to hold this to better appreciate your work. Ain't that always thecase?

I like a man who is willing to experiment and think out of the box. You have a determination that your skill level and tooling will catch up to.

Tell us what you learned from this and what how you might experiment next.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 10-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Skilled

well i learned to be more carfull with the rotory tool when taking metal off the back of the blade. i learned not to drill holes in my bolsters that low on the back(thats were the stop pin hangs out) of the knife. i learned that if you use a polishing bit and let it run up the side of the blade 2 or 3 times you get that lightning effect. i learned to oil my carbon fiber scales befor taking pictures it gives them a super high glossy shine.i learned how to suspend the half life x in a colorfull medium. i learned that i can strip any thing even a tap. i learned not to screw the scale screws in all the way on a brand new kit becaus if you close it with the srcews like that you will get a nice chip in your blade. i learned that sunlight is the best charger for half life x.i learned that half life x or something like it can be had for a much better price and in many more colors. i think i learned that im not a balisong fan the jury is still out on this one. i learned that liner locks are not realy locks at all more of a latch or a stop if you ask me( not that anyone is asking me) its like closing a door and wedging a chair under the door nob. i learned that i can not get a clip secure to a kit for my life. i learned that a kit is a kit like a model airplane it might look like an airplane but its not going to fly. i learned that the benchgrade torx wrenches are very nice!

well i think thats about it for learning now for experiment's

i would like to try and use coragated card board for spacer mat. so the coragation's show up in between the scales and liners then fill the coragation's with half life or some other colored epoxy mix. it might look like file work. mabey even dye the card board a nice color befor the epoxy. or fill each coragated chanel with alternating coloers.
im going to order some other colors of glow powder and try some stuff with that.

i was thinking of using old cd's a s spacer mat. i would like to get my hands on so impervium screws stop pins and liners if its posible. i would like to experiment with a liner sized phospher bronze washers. to eliminate space betwean the liners and blade. i was thinking of designing a paper clip style pocket clip. there is the idea of a tongue and grove system to improve liner locks. i wanted to make a button release system for a liner lock. mabey try some kevlar composite scales. i dont know if thay are alredy but heat treated screws would be nice or cryoed. i was thinking of cuting a reces for the pocket clips so that thay sit more securely. i would like to cut out some scales from an old circular saw blade. then give them a mustard etch and a few strokes with 2000 grit.

well thats all i can remember roght now ....justin
Old 10-08-2003, 10:46 PM
Skilled

took some pics of the ddr1 glowing (during the day)

lol check out how blury thay came out think i need a tri pod /i\ :confused: ?

here are a few of a cold steel recon1 that i did some work on

keep in mind i took these during the day with the lights out and a sheat over the window so its not totaly dark in the room.the room was still bright enuff to read in with no problem. you can still see the glow with a light on but i dont think it would photograph as well.

...justin

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, knife