MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 08-15-2003, 02:32 PM
Steel Addict

Question Help with dimensions for Home Made Grinder?

Please Help!

I've seen a couple of home made grinders on the different forums lately and I've decided that I want to tackle this project as I need a grinder and have very limited funds.

I'm going to try and make one similar to this one. I'd like to know what the distances are between the three "pivot points" on the belt. If a line is drawn between the drive pulley and the contact point, how far apart are they and how far above the line is the idler wheel?

I've tried emailing Ron, but he must be really busy as I've not heard back from him yet so I'm hoping someone with a KMG or similar 3 wheel grinder can give me an idea of the dimensions.

Also, does anyone know if skateboard wheels would work for the idler wheel or platen wheels?

If anyone has any tips or suggestions on building one of these, I'd be really gratefull for your help!

Thanks,

- Mike
Old 08-15-2003, 03:58 PM
Hall of Famer

I have used skateboard wheels on mine. They work ok. I never burned up a bearing in one. Look for ones that don't have side play in them.

I'm building the idler tracking mechanism Like Mr Starling did his.

http://www.mstarling.com/The_Craft/T...t_grinder.html

My idler is a water pump bearing welded to a 3/4 rod connector with MDF wheels glued to the bearing housing. We'll see how it works when I get it together.

Oh yeah, Mr Starling has dimension on his plans too

Old 08-16-2003, 03:06 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Mike

I've made a grinder similar to Ron's. I had the wheels made specially for this grinder after having many thoughts about alternative wheels. I was lucky enough to find a guy who could make the wheels at a fair price. I have a few pictures here:

http://groups.msn.com/BybjergKnives/pictures.msnw

The distance from the table to the centre of the idler wheel is 4.7", to the tracking wheel 24.8" and to the contact wheel 9.4". The distance from the idler wheel to the tracking wheel (measured on the table) is 10.2" and from the idler wheel to the contact wheel 24.8".

I hope this will give you some inspiration .

Jette Bybjerg
Old 08-19-2003, 07:36 AM
Steel Addict

Sweany - Thanks. It's good to know that skateboard wheels might be an option.

Jette - Thanks for the pictures and measurements. I'm looking at all of the home-made designs that I can, and trying to figure out a design that requires the least welding/machining. Once I get one put together, I'll post the shopping list, resource locations, plans and instructions.

Thanks again!
Old 08-20-2003, 01:52 PM
Hall of Famer

Hey, wayne Goddard claims it's better if you DON"T weld the machine together. Bolts make it easier to align and they don't draw.

Course I'm an old weldor so welding comes natural to me.

I never drill and tap just tack on a nut where i need it.

I am mounting the motor to the plywood top of the table though to cut vibrations.

It ain't like I'm gonna pick this thing up and grind something running by any way. LOL

If ya got some money (made some hopefully) after you get the design worked out. Just upgrade with Frinks wheels.

my .02