MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Skilled

An old heat treat question

Yeah, I know it has been asked and answered but here it is again. What are the heat treat parameters for blade and spring for the following steels? ATS-34, A2, D2 and any other favorites for that matter. I have seen some very high tempering temps and am just curious about that. My favorite steels are listed and yes, it is a help for me. The spring treat is of particular interest. Thanks, Dave
Old 04-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Master

www.crucibleservice.com will give you the HT for those alloys [ using 154CM data for the ATS-34 ]. While they show high tempering temps for ATS-34 blade makers use 400F ,that will work fine .
Old 04-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Skilled

I actually have data on heat treat but the treatment of springs is of interest to me. That is where I have seen a difference in heat treat. I assume that makers heat treat springs a bit differently than blades
Old 04-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL
I actually have data on heat treat but the treatment of springs is of interest to me. That is where I have seen a difference in heat treat. I assume that makers heat treat springs a bit differently than blades
Dave, I don't think D2 will make a good spring. It does make an exceptional blade, though, if it's not subjected to bending and twisting. It's more brittle than the other two steels you mention.

Working springs are heated and quenched just like a blade to get max. hardness, then drawn back to around 45 Rc, so they can flex a little without breaking.

Not all steels will make a usable spring.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast

I believe that 1095 is refered to as a "spring" steel. Wouldn't it be a bit simpler to work with?

Just a thought.

Larry
Old 04-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Skilled

1095 is a great spring steel and was used by Bob Ogg for years. However, it is certainly not stainless. I have one friend that swears that ATS34 makes a fantastic spring. But regarding this steel, I have seen several heat treatments for spring use. It seems the initial treat is the same but the temper part is different for springs. And that was the question....
Old 04-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Master

Sorry, didn't understand the question. Any steel that is used for springs can be called a 'spring steel'. Just drop the hardness down ,so for ATS-34 temper about 1000F.

Tags
blade, knife