MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 11-01-2003, 07:06 PM
Skilled

Finally finished 4n1

I finally found some time to finish my fourth kit. I was looking for something to do with some Mokume and some funky colored bone. Here are the results. Not for everyone but the second person that saw it, bought it and wants another one. Go figure. I told him it was not for sale and he made me an offer I could not refuse.

After the wife saw it, she mentioned it looked like a creamcicle. So I guess I'll call it the "CreamCicle"

Photos are improving...............
- 1500 Grit Finish
- Delbert Ealy Mokume
- Dyed bone by Nemo
- Stud by Hermit - Copper and Citrine
- Kit by Darrel Ralph
- Full file job
- Filed and heat colored screws.
- Full copper spine fileworked on the inside only

More photos here:
http://www.medawebs.com/knives/4n1.htm

Old 11-01-2003, 07:19 PM
Steel Addict

Super

Great piece. I especially like all your detailed file work. how did you achieve the woodgrain look on the bolsters?
Old 11-01-2003, 11:41 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to justice
wow that looks amazing!! very nice work!!! i love the colors.

...justin
Old 11-01-2003, 11:45 PM

You always come out swingin'...

Another 1st rate job! Fit and finish are quite good...great fit between the bolsters and scales! Your bolsters look perfectly formed!!! And I like your the way you swelled the scales toward the back...nice personal touch.

And speaking of bolsters, the mokume you used for the bolsters really combined wonderfully with the bone...very sweet! I don't recall seeing that pattern from Ealy before...(come to think of it, not sure I knew he was making mokume...I am a fan of a couple of his Damascus patterns).

Filework is very nicely done...you obviously put some heavy work into it...With all your very nice pics, I do wish we had one of the entire knife looking straight down from above, as well as full profile...For me that's the best way of really scoping out the filework and it's overall effect. (Without a really good look at the blade filework from tip-to-butt, I can't offer up my usual critical filework review...you dodged that bullet! ). Even still, it's easy to see how good this looks!

Once again, you've put those good looking thumbstuds to good use. They really worked out great alongside the mokume...

All-in-all...a great effort! Always a pleasure...

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

PS. Almost forgot...Yes I did catch those fileworked screws...cool.:cool:

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 11-02-2003 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:56 AM
Administrator

Wow ... that is totally awesome work!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-02-2003, 09:44 AM

Cigar,
Your work is nicely improved.
This knife looks very comfortable in the hand.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:29 PM
Skilled

Thank you all for the kind words.......................

Tbonz,
The woodgrain effect is actually Mokume. Mokume is made similar to damascus but with alternate materials such as copper and bronze. It is layers of copper and brass, forge welded, twisted, folded, welded again and so on. (please correct me if I'm wrong) Etching brings out the patterns.

Dennis,
Wasn't trying to dodge the bullet . I always look forward to a good looking over by you. Your criticisms always make me push just a little harder. If your in New York next week, you can get a good look up close.

I will say one thing, trying to filework the hardened blades tears up files to no end. Good thing have a wholesale account at the local machinist supply house. Now if I can get him to barter...........
Old 11-02-2003, 04:59 PM

I will be in NY to scope out the Custom Knife Show...but only on Saturday. I'm coming up with our usual NY crew including usual suspects Bob Eggerling and my good friend Ron Nott.

This trip we've got an even bigger group than usual...last count I hear we're up to a total of 10 knife nuts! We expect to arrive around 10:30 am on Saturday so keep an eye out for us. For the shows, I always wear a little Larry Mensch neck knife with my Biz Card/Name tag clipped to it. I'll be wearing my CKDF badge as well.

Should be an awesome show (as usual). Looking forward to visiting with Darrel...If luck (and time) are on my side, I'll have something ready to show him.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 11-09-2003, 04:57 PM

I ran into Bill (Cigar Man) and his lovely wife yesterday at the New York Custom Knife Show...Got to see this knife in person...Very nice indeed...Cool combination of materials which (of course) are not done justice by the pics.

I also got to see several of his others, including a couple of his new lockbacks...Very impressed...especially liked the vine/leaf pattern he used on both backspines...Nicely done!

Bill's gears are always turning...lots of neat ideas... Keep it up!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

PS. While at the show I made a point of seeking out Darrel and had a nice chat with him for awhile...He gave me some excellent pointers to help out on my current project...The Typhoon. While hanging out at Darrel's table I got to try the new patented speed assist...Gotta love that!!! ...He had installed one on his very hip Mad Maxx II folder....No surprises there...There's a reason why he's the master!
Old 11-11-2003, 07:05 PM
Skilled

Dennis,

It was a pleasure meeting you at the show. I will say that the photos of your "Desert Flame" and the carved MOP GX6 do those knives no justice at all. I also think that Typhoon project is sick!!!! (in a good way ) Seeing it in person was a wonderfull treat.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:22 PM

The New York Show was a good show as always. It is nice to meet and talk to the folks who stop by and chat. Thanks to all who came by.
Dennis and Cigar man were good to talk with.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives