MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion

Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion What's hot in the industry. General information about factory knives and mid-tech knife products are discussed in here. Tips, maintenance and modifications also... come on in!

Old 03-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Registered

Questions about the new "Pup" in my family

After much research and purusing of various web sites and forums, I went out and purchased a new Seal Pup today. I actually only intended today as a "look and feel" day to determine which of the knives on my "short list" would be "the one", but after handling the Seal Pup at a local sporting goods warehouse, and getting a good deal, I could not resist and purchased on the spot.

My knife was still in the "child proof" plastic packaging, so I know it is brand new, but curiously it only came with a folded up, small "catalog" of SOG products. It did not come with any kind of "care and feeding" manual or "warranty registration card" or other "typical" docs. Does anyone know if this is standard, or if my package was just missing these items?

Secondly, since there were know instructions, what is the best way to keep the new Pup sharp? I know this is probably a question that many will have different answers on, but what are the better sharpening stones/kits/systems other there? I know that there are ones from Lansky and SpyderCo, and many others, some diamond, some ceramic, etc. but I would like to have an idea of what the better/best one is.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 03-25-2007, 11:48 AM

EricB, welcome.

I am not sure if I have ever seen an "instruction" booklet for the pup. Call SOG and ask them or email Chris Cashbaugh at SOG.

1-888-SOG-BEST or marketing@sogknives.com (Chris)

I'm sure they will get the info. straight out to you IF there was supposed to be one in the box.

You might ask Chris about the other stuff too, he is a great guy and will be glad to help.

I hear lots of good things about Spyderco sharpening system. I use a ceramic rod first........ for a long time to save removing steel, then I use a diamond sharpener when it gets so dull I can not bring it back with a rod.

Robbie Roberson.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Registered

Robbie,
Thanks for the reply. The only reason I thought there might be an "instruction" page is that I saw a folded up page in the outer pocket of the sheath on the "preview" knife in the store. I did find the "contact us" page on the SOG web site (after I had posted here) and sent a question about this to SOG.

Thanks for the info on sharpening.

Thanks again,

Eric

Tags
knife, knives