MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion

Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion What's hot in the industry. General information about factory knives and mid-tech knife products are discussed in here. Tips, maintenance and modifications also... come on in!

Old 08-14-2006, 11:50 PM

Question CRKT - What are they really worth?

I will start out by saying that I own a CRKT M16-13Z that I purchased for more than $30.00 and it seems to be a knife of good quality. I must also admit that it has a blade marked Taiwan.

I recently received a Smokey Mountain Knife Works catalog that has the M16-11K?? listed for $19.99. It too has an AUS-8 Stainless blade that has black TiN coating. Many of the other CRKT knives are listed for less. Are these just good deals or closeouts?

The other knives listed for less have AUS-6M, and 420 J2 blades so they probably have appropriate prices, but what makes CRKT worthy to have a following?

Before anyone flames me I'm doing this to gather opinions based on your experiences, and if you think CRKT knives are fantastic I want to know.

Keep em sharp.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:40 AM
Steel Addict

the only thing i know about CRKT's is that i own one. it is the bear claw model, with a serrated blade. i took it apart and did some filework on it mainly just for pratice. however this knife is carried with me EVERYDAY. i have a concealed carry ####### and i believe one of the most important things about carrying a gun is to be ready for whatever situation you might face. i put an edge on the backside of the bear claw and it is now a VERY nasty CQB tool. i train when im shooting to keep the bear claw in my support hand. that is only possible thanks to the finger hole at the base of the blade. took awhile to get used too, however i now feel comfortable with both tools in hand. the design is superb, the steel stregth i have never really tested, however it is an every day carry and i use it for every little job and it has not had a problem yet. i purchased it about 3 years ago for around $35. im very satisfied with the investment. however seeing as how im into making knives now i dont see myself runnin out and buying another anytime soon.....hope i could help.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:55 PM

I own several CRKT knives and find my self asking the same question. I also have a M16-13Z among others. The Ryan folder i have i have used a few times and found that every time i cut something standard like cardboard or a tarp i have to resharpen it. I love the look and feel of the knives but find the AUS-6 to be soft and now they've switched to AUS-4. I'm sure the more pricey ones have a better steel but the ones with AUS-6 i find dull quickly.

Tags
blade, knife, knives