MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 06-08-2006, 11:20 AM

Wink #19-5 "Bushmaster" - More Bore from Moosehead

Hi all!

In the very popular tradition (we've been up and running for over a year, so I can call it tradition, eh?) established by our esteemed fellow mod BoBlade, it is my pleasure to bring you another tale of Randall bore which I hope y'all will enjoy.

Since first discovering the existence of RMK while surfing the net in late 2001(has it only been such a short time), I have always been fascinated by one of the more unusual looking knives offered.

See here: http://www.randallknives.com/hunting.asp

Model #19, dubbed the "Bushmaster" is offered with either a four and a half or five inch blade. The former version is the one depicted on RMK's website and on page 12 of the current catalogue. However, the original "Bushmaster" bore (no pun intended this this time) only a slight resemblance to today's versions.

The following information has been gleaned from Robert L. Gaddis' excellent book "Randall Made Knives: The History of the Man and the Blades", which is really essential for anyone interested in Randalls. It was published in 1993 by Paladin Press and is still readily available from various sources.

Chapter 13 (pages 209 to 211) contains the following:

In late 1962, Norm Sherwood, a friend of Bo Randall's son-in-law expressed a desire for a knife not offered in the RMK line. According to Gaddis, Norm who was an "avid Colorado outdoorsman", required a "heavy-duty, all-round field and camp knife, one which could even be used to cut brush for a cooking fire as well as to field-dress game."

Bo and Norm collaborated on designing the original "Bushmaster", apparently named because of it fulfilling Norm's need for a knife to take "into the bush" for his planned trip into the remote wilderness.

The resulting 4.5" blade knife depicted in Gaddis' book was dubbed "The Tadpole" by Bo and the author "because of its fat-bellied, long-tailed appearance." Bo is quoted" "we liked it well enough that we adopted it, but it's not a pretty knife, and we just didn't sell a lot of them." A few years later, in the mid-sixties, RMK altered the "Bushmaster's" design to give it a "more pleasing shape".

The "new" version first appeared in 1967, but "With its 4 1/2 inch blade, this was still a stubby looking knife." And so it was that a five inch blade option came about, and was first offered in the 1972 catalogue, giving the knife "a better appearance". "This extra 1/2 inch of blade steel also made the sharp top edge into a useful brush cutter for starting a campfire or making a crude shelter."

So folks here's one of the early FIVE inch #19s with a stainless blade. The knife is mint, with some slight storage marks at the throat of the sheath and keeper strap. The spacer arrangement, the "tight stitched" Johnson rough back sheath and the Norton white soft Arkansas hone all help to date this knife to the early seventies, but one can never know for sure the precise date when this #19-5 was crafted.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers!

Moosehead

P.S. Please feel free to correct this ignorant Moose, or add any pertinent information you may have about this neat model.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:24 AM

Here's the section from the 1972 catalogue, where the five inch "Bushmaster" first made its appearance. Note the $45.00 price!

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 06-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Steel Addict

What the Hell is going on here?
Moose Buying some of the "Oldies" now????
I thought you only liked the "New Stuff???

You interested in doing a Trade????
I am sitting on a Brand New #19 x 5" that I will send to you along withever the Freight costs are to NY if you want to get rid of that one!!!!

Old 06-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Skilled

David, thanks for sharing your #19 with us and the "bore" to go with it! Great pictures as usual! The nineteen is one of my favorite Randall models which I have never owned. The others which wind my clock that I have yet to own are the #3 and #4. Each of these seems to have a character of their own due to the handle material and handle shape. I think I just missed out on getting my dream #19 the other day but there will be other chances I'm sure. Man, the first ones really had a belly on them didn't they? TAH also has a really neat older #19 that he loves and this would be a good place for him to share that knife if he's of a mind to. So, now that you've made the journey into the older pieces, what do you think? I think I'd go nuts over the older ones given half a chance. The older ones have stories to tell if you listen closely.

seuss
Old 06-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
The story, pattern and use for the knife reminded me of the Harvey Draper "Elmer Keith" they are talking about on Bernies site at BF. Same era too. If this is too off topic I could delete it.(link)

Old 06-09-2006, 12:48 AM
Steel Addict

Very nice Moose! your first classic? Wonderful example ! congrats!

Last edited by thewap; 05-14-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:06 PM

David: Great thread and very worthy of "Bore" status! As Mike pointed out, you now have me worried about being another "old Randall" chaser! As if there weren't enough of us already!

Roc: Thanks for posting the pic of that Draper knife (He is one of my all time favorite knifemakers). Jim Schick (nifeboy) had that knife at the BAKCA show last year and I came oh so close to getting it on a trade.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Skilled

Oldies

Folks,
Good to see all of these posts! I am also a fan of the #19-5", but not quite so much on the shorter one. I also like the 5" with a double hilt. It makes a very beefy fighter!
The guys in the Randall shop still refer to the "Bushmaster" from time to time as "The pancake turner"! You can certainly see why, especially when looking at the "originals". For what it's worth, I like the "newer and improved" version better as a "user". Good pics, Moose. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback
P.S. Now I guess we have two "boring" members/ moderators!

Old 06-12-2006, 06:12 PM

Thanks guys!

I'm glad I was able to bore you with this one.

Cheers!

Moosehead

Tags
blade, knife, knives, pins, post