MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > The Watering Hole

The Watering Hole Weekends, girlfriends or happenings ... no knife talk allowed!

Old 05-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Skilled

is it a post card or a TV (not a joke)

Hay guys,,
I was up early today,,turned the TV to Fox news,,at the top of the hour they show tech news,,and other,,but today they showed
the thinnest TV and i think they said Sony was the maker,,,it is as thin and flexable as a photograph,,the hand that was holding it flexed it and it could wrap around a can of beans.
and is no thicker then the lable.
now they will be able to make a deasent set of glasses with a heads up display.
the picture was as good as a computer screen even while it was being flexed.
so be carfule in the next year on buying electronics with screens,,cuz the technolagy is now out of date and stores are gonna start dumping it to get there money back from stock.
now all those folks that bought 60 pound wall mount TV's have crap cuz a large screen TV will weigh less then a painting hanging on the wall next to it.
Skip
Old 05-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Steel Addict

it will likely take at least 2 years to implement, and like all emerging technologies, will cost more than you or I have when they first come out, and be full of bugs.

Impressive technology nonetheless.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Guru

Skip, called e-ink, they are getting the color stuff working now pretty well. Has been in development for about a decade and is starting to show up in e-books pretty well.

It is cool, but has drawbacks in the currently available configs (they are working on it). Things like refresh rate is the biggest problem.

However, it haas a zero power image hold, so in an e-book, they put the page up, and then power down until the next page turn.

I have seen heads up displays that would stun you, and the street price would have been cheap enough for most people to buy. However, the corp that was developing it killed it, and the ones that tried to get it out couldn't get venture after the dot-bomb. One of these days it will happen, I have seen them, and I want them!

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 05-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Skilled

your right i think its a cool idea,,i like gagits,,i'm not a electronics whiz but stuff like this makes me smile,,what the reporter was saying was this was a breake through and they have fixed a lot of passed problems,,,it still might have some snaggs,,,
but i'm still waiting for my Dick Tracy watch,,,and can you imagine,,sitting in the seat on a flight next to someone that needs to do some office work,,they pull out a fat little Black berry like devise,,open it like a small book exposing a deasent size key board,,pluging in a set of sun glasses and going to town.

and Dodd got it nailed too ,, a phone that cost $500 a year ago,,is going for $75.00
but the little boy in me stills likes seeing new stuff,,have a happy day
Skip
Old 05-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Guru

Or better, think of a set of sunglasses attached to something the size of a pack of cigs tucked into a pocket. You pull what looks to be a pen, and it unfolds like a tripod on the bottom and sits on the tray in front of you. As you type it transmits to the little black box as you look at a high res screen that appears the same as a 42" or larger display!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/

Thing is, all of this tech is possible today, not only possible, but practical.

For the glasses, there are other tech that is better, but not being persued fully.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 05-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Skilled

totaly cool