MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Update on the grinder platen

The latest is.....I'm still working on the plans. With so many different directions and combinations that could be offered, I have come to the following conclusion:

Once the plans are ready, I will be offering ONLY two options.....

1. Will be the plans only. It will include instructions for creating the platen from materials available at most steel supply outlets. (final cost of plans is not yet set)

2. A complete platen, MINUS the contact wheels. This will require the buyer to purchase the
1 1/2" and 3" contact wheel, and the bolts/nuts to attach the contact wheels to the platen. I will include instructions for mounting the contact wheels and modifying the tooling arm. (currently the cost of this package will be $300 plus shipping, and WILL NOT include the complete set of plans) This price is subject to change as the price of materials fluctuate.

Just so that everyone is clear on this point.....this platen will not work with the standard KMG tooling arm. The tooling arm must be modified with a 3/4" "split" hole to accept the platen (pics on how to accomplish the modification will be in both the plans and the complete platen package)

For more information on what the platen looks like and how it attaches, you can visit the following link..... http://www.caffreyknives.net/KMGarticle.html

As I get things closer to completion, I'll be posting pics on my website and likely here on the forums.

More to come....

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 05-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Steel Addict

Ed, thank you very much for working on this! I've restocked my inventory of 1-1/2" and 3" wheels.

As I was cleaning the shop, I found a box of EC platen attachment parts...I gues I've been keeping them for spares in case needed. Several sideplates with 3/4" stub shaft, several roughed out side plates, and several platen plates....but no angle brackets...which are the toughest to make.

Rob

Old 05-19-2008, 11:33 AM

Ed,
Do you have an ETA on availability? I am interested in one and I am getting ready to place my order for my KMG with Rob. I want to order the correct options and such. Thanks. -Doug