MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Member Web Sites : Links & Updates

Member Web Sites : Links & Updates Have a new knife site to announce? Any updates lately? Tell us about them here ...

Old 06-19-2001, 09:12 PM
Shotgunone

Where to find Web Site?

Well you may know that Homestead is about to charge us frugal people. Free web site is really going down. So I was thinking -- maybe I should get my own domain name and find me a real place for MY web site. So where is a good place to find a web host and at what price.

Or maybe I need to wait till I get better and stay with the free ones - if I can find one - for now.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2001, 09:47 PM
primos

Click on the logo below, or call 1-770-463-4881.

Ask for Alex, and tell him that Terry Primos sent you.

Atlanta Virtual

Old 06-19-2001, 10:34 PM
MIKE KOLLER

For what Homestead it talking about charging you would be as well off,nah you would be better off going with Alex.

Maybe he could look at the site and give a rough est. on cost.If he can I would like one myself. I too am frugal and have been using the freebies.I think a presence on the web is critical if local sales are not what you would like.
Old 06-20-2001, 01:00 PM
dogman

Hey, Terry, I can't find that link. please post it again
Old 06-20-2001, 02:01 PM
ansoknives

Alex all the way! the service is top..got problems..email and either Alex or on in the staff will get back to you with few hours....24-7

It is the best that has happend to my website!

I was on free based too...sucks!
Old 06-20-2001, 04:53 PM
Bob Warner

OK you web guru's. Here is my question. Remember, this is froim the guy that CANNOT post a #### picture to this forum.

If I were to sign up with Atlanta Virtual or any other web hosing place. Do I ALSO have to sign up with someone else to be able to surf the internet? If I am paying for a place on the web I thought I would have access to the web also but a friend said that you have to pay for BOTH the page and the surfing. Can you guy's shed any light on this? I know there are free places like Netzero but I HATE ads so I'd rather pay.

So would I have to pay $X for the web site location and another $X for the ability to come to this webpage and read the forum (and surf the net). Is this correct? Does Atlanta Virtual offer both?
Old 06-20-2001, 08:21 PM
Shotgunone

Bob,

I'm no expert so take this for what it is worth. AV is a web site host company. They have a server that is connected to the net but they do not offer dial up connections (on there FAQ). So they will store your web page on there computer so that when people put your address (www) in it will go to their computer and pull up your pages.

Even if they did have dialup connection you would have to call them, possible long distance, or 800 number to get access to the web. Sometimes Local internet providers offer server space for web sites, free or fee based. Mine offers free but it is personal not for business use.

So answer is you will probably have to pay for both or go to a free site with all the ads. Homestead is fixing to charge and I figure other's will to.

If you go to AV sight and read the FAQ it will shed lots of light. Only thing I didn't understand was on the home page it showed the bottom line site at 14.95 / mo. But on the comparison page it showed 17.95 / mo. So what is the price?

Regards
Old 06-21-2001, 05:20 PM
CKDadmin

Tony,

$14.95 is the monthly rate on a yearly hosting commitment. Of course, in the event that you ever discontinued the service, we would refund your unused full months. However, the basis for the incentive rate is to reduce monthly administrative costs on billing.

We also charge no setup fees.

You're welcome to contact me directly @ alexwhetsell@atlantavirtual.com. I'll be glad to help answer any questions you may have concerning the hosting services we provide.

Alex
Old 06-25-2001, 10:00 AM
robertwashburn

web sites

To let everyone know ,I made the switch from homestead to AV. I figured that if I had to pay someone why not pay someone I knew.Alex and the guys have been a blessing to work with. www washburn knives.com
Old 06-25-2001, 11:07 AM
dogman

Re: web sites

If you are looking for a place to host pictures, I believe most ISP's (the major one's you pay for like MSN and Earthlink) offer 5-10 Meg of web space. With a simple (and free) ftp program like CuteFTP for WS-FTP, you can transfer the pictures to your free space.

Tags
knives