MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-23-2001, 12:42 PM
genechapman

Easy Antler Handle Clasp Knife

Clasp knife, friction folder, penny knife, whatever you call it, they are fun to make and use. Here is a page on making a clasp knife from "Nose to the Grindstone", one of my publications, also there is some scanned tooling to follow this post.Have fun iron pounders with the Iron In The Hat 4th, I know I am.

Old 04-23-2001, 01:04 PM
genechapman

Antler Holders

Three simple holders made from 3/32" welding rod, 1/8", 3/16" drill rod. I made the fancy one for my Mt Man work table.It's fancier but they all do the same job. After the hole is drilled in the handle, spindle the antler on the tips and secure in a vise. Next post will show some antler saws. Will show on new thread so it won't take so long to load.

Old 04-23-2001, 01:50 PM
Dana Acker

Re: Antler Holders

Muchas gracias for sharing that Gene. Mighty fine! This is going to be a fun IITH.

HEY GUYS--if you click on my website link at the bottom of this post, when it comes up, there's a picture of a Mt. Man Folder that I made following the instructions in one of Gene's books, "Antler And Iron II". His books are excellent references and just plain old fun to boot. I highly recommend you check them out. His books on "Penny Knives," "Little Uglies," and "Nose to the Grindstone" would be a real help if you're interested in getting in on this Iron in the Hat drawing. They are available through Gene's website www.oakandiron.freeservers.com . Go for it, Bros!
Old 04-24-2001, 06:51 AM
Sweany

Thanks Gene
Old 04-25-2001, 09:42 PM
gthomas

Yes! Thank you very much Gene. This will be a great Iron in Hat folder swap thanks in large part to sharing information like this by experienced forum members. So all of you, beginners and experienced makers alike, who would like to make a friction folder join in the fun and sign up for the Iron in the Hat:4 Friction Folder knife swap!

Guy Thomas
Old 04-27-2001, 09:21 AM
Dana Acker

Let's keep this up near the top--too good to let slip down too far.
Old 04-29-2001, 03:16 PM
genechapman

Hey Dana,just spent a day and a half on the stormy Washington State coast camping, our new/old 77 camper and 83 F250 truck in rain, wind, sun, just about everything, picked up some surf rounded hammer stones, will try to post images soon and tell more. Also picked a variety of small sharpening surf stones to try in sharpening.
Old 05-01-2001, 06:34 AM
Dana Acker

While I don't know much about rocks, I know that when I see one I like, I normally pick it up and bring it home. I love to forage for them. Some I get because they are pretty, some I get because I think I might be able to use for something. Sometimes I go rock hunting just because....
One thing for certain, no matter how many rocks I pick up and bring home, there's always plenty more left.
Old 05-01-2001, 07:12 AM
Bog Iron

Rocks

Funny; I went rock hunting Sunday; took my daughter to the creek to catch crawdads while I dug a bucket of clay and filled another bucket 1/2 way with nice mafic rounded stones for cooking.

We do Y1K at the Dublin Ohio Irish Festival and one of our members wanted to cook in a wooden trough heated by stones; having more experience in this area I offered to find and proof the stones.

Back home I lit a fire in a steel box and build a good deep layer of coals and let the rocks "soak" for an hour---only two failed by cracking *no* explosions! Then I tonged them out and dropped themm in 2 gallons of cold water *no cracking*!! but we had the water boiling out of the bucket and all over. I should have tried the drip spalling but I was low on time...Oh well I need several more buckets of clay for my Y1K forge and the beehive oven...

Thomas
Old 05-01-2001, 07:30 AM
gthomas

I envy you guy's, no rocks here in Tallahassee, some limestone closer to the coast and that's about it. We've got plenty of red clay however that should work well for a washtub forge when I get around to it! I wonder if crushed limestone would work with the refractory mixture too. Maybe red clay, limestone and wood ashes?

Guy Thomas
Old 05-03-2001, 08:16 AM
Jeff Sanders

Thats a good idea for holders Gene. Thanks.
do you use those for small tongs ?looks like they would work and you could make different tips for them.
Old 05-03-2001, 09:16 AM
genechapman

Haven't tried using them for anything but holding antler or wood when slotting. There may be other possibilties waiting to be used.
Old 06-01-2001, 11:57 AM
Dana Acker

This needs to be current, as we got an Iron In The Hat Drawing with Clasp Knives or Friction Folders coming up.
Old 07-17-2001, 09:02 AM
ghostdog

Re: Easy Antler Handle Clasp Knife.

Thought I would bump this up as there was a question about plans the other day.

ghostdog
Old 07-25-2001, 06:30 PM
prizzim

Re: Easy Antler Handle Clasp Knife.

Just keeping it close. I need all the help I can get!

Chris
The Tidewater Forge

Tags
forge, knife, knives