MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:03 PM

Choice of thread type

I've just discovered this forum while searching for the best type of thread for a holster or sheath. There is some tremendous information here, but I couldn't find an answer to the question.

Tandy's waxed linen thread is what I've used for years and never questioned it. Recently I saw an article about restoring an old shoulder holster, originally sewn with cotton thread. The cotton had disintegrated due to time and what the writer called acidic nature of leather. The holster was restored with nylon thread, chosen for its' superior durability and strength. I'm putting together my first lined holster, using pigsking lining, and had planned on using Tandy's black linen thread. I apply beeswax to the thread before using. Once I got started looking around I see all sorts of thread: linen, polyester, nylon, flax, cotton, sinew, and more in all sizes. This project will be saddlestiched.

Is there a "best" thread for a knife sheath or holster that will be out in the weather? What are the pros and cons of the various thread or lacing materials?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Steel Addict

I'm not a professional leather worker, so take this with a grain of salt.
I've heard or read somewhere than the synthetic threads (polyester, nylon etc) are not giving enough and as the leather flexes will eventually cut through the leather..
I use linen as that is what I've been told is the most durable, readily available thread.

ron

http://rpaynecreations.weebly.com/
Old 12-08-2009, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the input, Ron. I'll get on with it with the linen thread.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Master

Can you dye waxed thread? I have some white waxed thread. My thought was to dye the thread on the sheath when I dyed the whole thing. I think its nylon though, whatever texas knife sells, and I want linen.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Master

Would this work? Anyone know how many ply #6 is?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BARBOURS-SPE...item4aae89d3a0
Old 09-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Skilled

My suggestion would be to use the waxed nylon thread available from Tandy. Works great, you can pull it tight without breaking, and will take a dye if you want. For somebody starting out this eliminates some very aggravating problems. The linen threads are fine, but you do need to wax them before using. If you want to dye them, do the dye first. let it dry and then wax. The linen is more prone to breaking when pulling tight if you're not careful or have little experience. I use the waxed nylon about 98% of the time on sheaths and gun leather with no adverse effects.

Tags
knife, leather, sheath