MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-16-2001, 11:01 PM
Steve Vanderkolff

grinding a dove tailed bolster ?

I have been having fun with some dove tailled bolsters lately but every time I make a set I end up burning my fingers while trying to grind the angle part. Is there some trick for holding that little wee piece of steel without frying your fingers. I am using 3/32 440C and grinding on a 4 X 24 with a new 80 grit belt.The pieces are approx. 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch.
My fingers thank you.
Steve

Old 12-17-2001, 01:51 AM
BCB27

Steve,

I really don't know what to suggest other than having the water bucket close by. I would not recommend wearing gloves, especially when working with small pieces. Also, you might try using 416 SS for your bolsters. It's less expensive.

Brett
Old 12-17-2001, 06:08 AM
Don Cowles

When mine get too hot, I let go of them and they slide down the incline on the table into the milled slot for the miter gage. From there, I pick them up with a pair of large forceps and dunk them in water. Rinse and repeat.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:02 AM
Metalpressr

Hey Steve, try this... Instead of trying to Dovetail such small pieces, take the bar and grind (dovetail) both ends. Then cut the pieces off each end to the same length. Do a careful deburring and then put both pieces together against something flat (I use a block of hardwood) and have the two dovetails matching each other so they look like this: /l\
Use a drop of superglue to hold them together. Then attach them (both) to one side of the knife and then drill through the holes you've already drilled through the tang (bolster holes). Now everything will match Perfect. All you have to do now is take the two pieces off, put dummy pins through both pieces and shape the front to suit. Leave the pins on the long side, so you have something to hold on to, and no more burnt fingers. Use a plastic mallet to break them apart, or, they will usually come apart, from the heat, from shaping and buffing. Best I can do for ya, without doing a pic by pic visual. Good luck!

Tags
knife