MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 08-13-2005, 01:59 PM

WWII Bayonet

If I understand correctly, these are very common and not worth much. My uncle brought this home from his time in the Pacific (along with the rifle it was on). He had the frightful job of entering underground caves and tunnels in order to 'engage' the enemy. My father said his brother was never the same after that. The poor guy eventualy drank himself to death. Like the companion bolt-action rifle, this bayonet bears the Chrysanthemum stamp.

Old 08-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Remember, a generic blade fished from a pile of surplus may not be worth much, but a genuine moderen day battle bowie with history and the name, dates and documented accounts of when and how it was used make it worth far more. Discounting, but not minumizing the the value of your personal family history, this is exactly the types of war items collectors look for. How ancient is this bayonette going to look to your great granchildren? How proud would you be to own a civil war bowie used by a member of your family? I would dig up any photos of your uncle, particularly him in his uniform. any medals, discharge papers or anthing connecting him to his service. If there is a serial number on the rifle, I am sure you could track down his whole tour of duty with that number.

Excellent photo by the way. I could see it being a composition photo with some other war items belonging to your uncle included. Hearing how he spent his last days makes me ashamed. That man should have been put on a pedastal buy our country, not left to drown the memory of the horror of war in a bottle of whiskey. A small but fitting homage to the patriot would be a composition photo sent off into cyber space.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Sadly, most of the younger generation don't have much appreciation for what those guys went through and frequently discard memories like this as junk. They don't teach anything about WWII in school anymore. Instead they teach 'Life During the War', in which they attempt to show how every race, creed, and gender struggled but heroically overcame the tragedy of prejudice. The importance of the lesson is that everyone feel good about themselves. What caused perhaps hundreds of millions of people to be killed and the struggle to overthrow the tyrants who made it happen are no longer politically correct.

Still, I agree with Hammerdownnow - make sure that there is a written and pictoral history saved with the bayonet. Weapons made by Japan during the war were notorious for poor quality. Combined with the large number produced, the book price may be weak. But when you add the history, it increases the value. (e.g., my sock is worthless; Elvis' sock is not.)

That generation is passing away quickly and so much family history is being lost. An uncle of mine died last year. He had been a pilot in Korea. At the gathering after the funeral, I noticed several medals on his desk and asked if anyone knew what they were for. No one knew - not his brothers, his sisters, nor his children. Sad.

As for your uncle drinking himself to death, it's sad, but none of us can probably imagine the horrors he saw. Especially as a 'tunnel rat'. General W. T. Sherman, irked by a reporter's question about the glory of a battle, responded that "War is all hell." There is no better summary, I think.

Thanks for taking the time to photograph and share the bayonet and scabbard with us, Buddy.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:14 AM

You guys are right on! I really appreciate your comments. I do have pictures and some other memoribilia related to my "Uncle Floyd." I also have very fond memories of him from when I was young. His story should be added to the others from his generation. One measure of his worth could be seen in his wife. She was appropriately outraged that the VA didn't recognize that at least some of his problems were "service connected." She fought for years and years and finally got for him a bit of the recognition and benefit he deserved. Thanks again for your thoughts and encouragement.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nozh_scrap
Your uncle is a hero.

I think about all those guys who fought in WW2, and it makes me so #### proud I get choked up. My great uncles survived D-Day in Normandy, and the hairiest situations the Pacific had to offer, and brought home some of the crysanthemum stamped Japanese stuff, and German stuff.

When I was younger I was fortunate enough to look at some of it. The coolest thing in the whole lot was a yellowed picture of the 4 brothers, my great uncles. It was taken at their house after the war. They were all sitting on the steps of their porch, smiling with cigarettes in their hands. My dad said "Those are the toughest sons a bitches who ever lived..." and I don't doubt it for a second. Just like I don't doubt your uncle was.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:07 AM
Enthusiast

I sold one on ebay for $90 a few months back. Mine still had the leather frog though.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Enthusiast

yep the guys who went through ww1 & ww11 were admitedly brave they did'nt have the equipment we had as soldiers in the 70s & 80's . remember that the VA does nothing it does'nt have to. i am blessed by my status & ability to get my healthcare at VA but they don't do teeth or hearing or several other things unless you are a so called 100%disabled veteran . unless we get the ability to change the coverage the men like me that can't afford dental etc will just have to suffer. i am not classed a disabled veteran. unfortunately all i draw after heart & lung problems (copd) is 550. a month. try living on that. tom
Old 04-27-2006, 01:02 AM
Master

As a Retired Military and 50% Disabled Vet I can agree with a lot of what was aformentioned. But one thing that I have to say at least in some of the Schools around here the kids know the sacriface that was paid for in blood and lives during WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and teh so called Conflicts since. War is War and those who serve should be Honored.

I will say this like Hammerdownnow said get all of teh items togather and Have them put into a shadowbox. My other job is doing just that at one of the Arts and Craft stores cannot say the name. But the blade and all of the other articles can be mounted using the proper hangers as to not damage the blade. As far as awards and decorations that might take a while to get as a lot of the files were lost in a fire at the records control center in St. Louis many years ago. Anyway hope that this is of some help to you.

Tags
blade, knife